Fly Fishing Forum banner

Prescription Sunglasses

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Striper 
#1 ·
I need to get a pair of script lenses. So far I think I have narrowed it down to AO and Maui. Hoping to get a pair of wrapped lenses for UV protection as well as good vis on the flats. I have a relatively strong prescription (+3.25 - 50 X 180 in my right eye & +2.75 in the left) and I understand that is pushing the limits for wrap lenses without getting distortion. Anyone with any experience with either AO and Maui wrap lenses? Anything I should be looking for? AO seems a little cheaper than Maui but I didn't get the best feeling talking to them. They didn't want to seem to take the time to walk me through my options. Maui available through the local Optometrist with perceived better customer service.

TIA,

Sean

#2 ·
Sean- I have had Action Optics Otis for about 5 years now- Clearwater Copper photochromic- at the time you could only get them in glass lenses, but I believe the poly carbonate is now available. Mine are bombproof and my customer service with AO has been tops ( prior pair I broke the night before a trip- when I arrived at my hotel the next day after traeling coast to coast, my new glasses were waiting at the desk.

My $0.02:smokin:

#3 ·
I have the AO in both the caicos and somthing I can't think of right now. I like both but like the caicos best. You may or may not be able to get the wrap arounds. My eyes are bad enough that I couldn't. I called them to see what would wrok for me.

I also like the clear water copper. I have some side shields that I use and I sometimes wear caccoons over top of them or over my regular prescription glasses depending on the conditions. I may try all three combinations in a days fishing to find what is working best for me. I will see fish good one day then the next day, with what seems like the same conditions to me, I don't see them as well. I will make a switch and start seeing them better.

#4 ·
Sean,
I bought a pair from Orvis that seem to be OK. The world looks a little distorted at first, but after that things are fine. The prescription is right as I can see fine, just there seems to be some Parallax in the lens grind. I do not know if that is normal with wraparounds as I have never worn any before these. I do not know who the vendor is for Orvis.

#5 ·
Sean...I have Costa del Mar lenses and love them....I also have a heavy prescription (20/350 vision).....and was told by a very reliable optometrist that the wrap around will result in distorted vision ("no matter what the company says"). Costa makes a lot of different frames...mine have full side shields which improves vision, reduces glare and wind. The side shields allow for less curve in the lenses.
Also important is who fills the prescription....( was told that the lenses made by computer driven machines often result in the polarization effect not being lined up properly....thus, you have to tilt your head to get the full effect....my optomitrist had them made for me the old fashion way....by hand by a person who still had the skill to do it......they are perfect!
Ron

#7 ·
Sean,

I had a pair of Maui Jims made up in the UK. Due to my strong prescription the lens had to be glass and were ground in the US. Forget the exact model but they are wraparound pilot style. Only problem is they are heavy because of the thickness of the lens right at the edges. Only slight distortion apparent at the edges and i would buy them again. Great driving glasses as well :)

Alan

#8 ·
I have Maui Jims and once had pair of Bolle. They were both purchased through the local optometrist. My prescription wasn't nearly as strong as yours, I did not notice any problems with either brand..never considered Smith/AO from the start.

#9 ·
Sean, a search will bring up a lot on this.

I have owned rx specs from just about all of them. Mauis are the best over all (great glass, good frames), but the lenses are too dark for fishing. Best for show.

Action is very good with lots of options there, but the frames are a little cheap. I like their yellow lens and their copper. The CW/copper might be the best all around lens. The yellow is the best lens for low light (morning evening overcast...you know, when the fishing is best). I love those yellow lenses. I find that I wear them all day, forgetting to put on the darker lens.

I have had good experiences with Costas, and I like their frames and lenses. They have the best wraps. I think I would go with them unless you needed a really high % of light transmission, then go with the AO's.

I have had bad luck with the Orvis eye wear and a couple of buddies have had poor luck with Ocean Waves.

Look at the Keanons too. I have friends that love those.

#10 ·
I like my Fitovers (or are they Cocoons). Cheap enough so I can have a pair of dark amber and a pair of the yellow-amber. But my family (especially siblings) make fun of me so I was ready to spring for the photochromic copper AO's. Question is, is AO still the same company since being bought out?

#11 ·
Maui Jims

Thanks again for all the feedback. I picked up my pair of Maui Jim Cyclones today from the optometrist. I have had non-script AOs in photo copper and amber for a number of years and I have to say the first impression is definitely that the Maui's provide a better "true color" experience. The glass script lenses are considerably heavier than the non-script but I was able to alleviate some of the weight issue by going with a thicker cotton cloth chum which helps balance the weight. So far a quick walk around the neighborhood hasn't produced any distortion. Can't wait to get them on the flats for a full test run.

Eddie,

I do like the photo amber lenses from AO as well for early morning, fog etc.. and I am going to keep my pair of non-script lenses around for that purpose and probably pick up a pair of script lenses in the future. My eye problems are more of a muscular issue than lense is my understanding as I can see at a distance pretty well but tend to get eye fatigue over a long day. So for the few hours I need them the non-script may do the job.

Sean

#13 ·
Options

I used to have a terrible time with sunglasses. Due to my prescription, fit overs did not work. And as I had variable strength lenses, nothing else seemed to be available. Oh yeah, Action Optics, and a few others offered bi-focals. But they had that line across the middle and looked liked sh!t.

Single strength contact lenses worked very well for me. Leaving several options for close up work. Flip focals etc. This allowed me to use off the shelf, non prescription sungalsses. Needles to say, a whole new world opened up.

Several years later, I went Lasik.

Talk to a good opthamologist. Tell him you want some good polarized sunglasses for fishing. And ask about options.

#14 ·
Sean,
You will learn to love your Maui's. I have had mine for 2 years now non-script and I love them. They are glass lense and I would not get plastic lenses again. The glass wear much better than the poly lenses at the cost of a bit heavier pair of glasses. I don't really notice the difference anymore unless i put on a pair of poly lens glasses. They were pretty expensive but I feel worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.