Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rhodyfest lodging options...

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
Not to take away from the Burlingame campsite plans, but is anyone interested in sharing lodging in an area hotel? I am currently waiting on a group quote from a place located between Watch Hill and Weekapaug with seperate sleeping areas:

one bedroom with a sleeper in the living room (2 anglers)
two bedroom with a sleeper in the living room (3 anglers)

Assuming we can knock the rates down by offering group buying power and the promise of repeat business in the offseason, I am optimistic that he will give us a good price.

What would people be willing to bear for cost per night? I would take the tying table, hot shower and bed for $35/night but would probably go the campsite route if it's more than that. Maybe I will negotiate for $30/night and people can use their rip trip deposits as applicable? I guess it depends on the number of people, we'll see.

This place is right on the beach and who knows there might be a blitz or two.

#2 ·
A real bed with bathroom and shower sounds nice -- hope it works out!

FYI, I have already mailed my reservation form and payment to Burlingame for a cabin on Saturday night. Haven't received confirmation yet, but I assume I will get the reservation. If anybody would like to share the cabin please let me know. There is supposedly room for 6 people per cabin (4 bunks, 2 floor spots) but I would prefer not to have people on the floor unless it is absolutely necessary.
Q

#7 ·
First of all, let me say that I am not intending to undermine any camping plans. I was initially concerned about the spread-out lodging but then realized that it's the time fishing that is important and people are equally welcome to hang out by the campfire as well as join in the rooms for a home-cooked meal and hot shower. Plus if I know this community like I think we do then there are no anal retentives. That being said...

Here's what I got:

Two large apartment style hotel rooms (kitchen, etc) with three separate sleeping areas (2 BD and a futon in the living area) at $37 / person before taxes.

Additional medium apartment style hotel rooms with two double beds in one room and a futon in the living room at the same price ($37 / head) for any additional people interested.

Additional people can sleep in a cot or on the floor to reduce the cost/share in each room, the large rooms are 900 sq feet. In the smaller units two people will be in the same room in separate beds anyway so if others crash in the living space nothing is lost. I'll just bring ear plugs. ;-)

I volunteer to be one of the cooks for the group dinner on Saturday night, but might need some help keeping an eye on the side dishes. I don't care if we do the group dinner at camp or in one of the rooms, both are great for me.

What are your thoughts on this arrangement?

Here is the place:

http://www.sandyshore.com/index.html

#9 ·
Awesome GregO! We could use the primo photography on the case.

You should get a real cheap rate because you won't care about the separate room thing. I'd give Ralph a call and let him know you are with the clave but looking for a couples' set up.

I haven't set anything up with him yet until I get more definite responses from people, but there's no reason you shouldn't.

#10 ·
Great idea. In the past some clavers have gotten motel rooms here and there scattering people about, it all works out in the end. I'm tempted to join the motel crew this year, especially where it's so close to the water. Where I enjoy the camping aspect so much, I'm sticking with Burlingame. I think a common gathering point is an important part of the clave, but it doesn't matter where it is.

#12 ·
It doesn't look like we'll have a huge interest in the rooms at this point, but based on the replies here and emails I would say we will need two-three rooms (not including GregO and wife).

Please let me know so I can make arrangements with them, or feel free to make them yourself but let us know so we have an idea of who's going to be where, etc.

I will put up the signup tonight, KUDOS to Jim Whalen who despite the bass terrorizing his local fishing hole has taken the time to inspire this event and send me a signup sheet in HTML!

Thanks Jim!

#13 ·
grego (09-26-2001 12:53 p.m.):
Juro,

Also, on dinner, are you looking to learn the finer art of Steak-Tip grilling (step 1 no skewers, right Terry)?
Yes. I think on those low powered propane grills the mass is overwhelming. Although that grill/stove job you have kicks butt. Either way if I make it I'll be first in line for them tips.

Lefty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.