Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sinking line cast

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AdrianV 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a full sinking line around a 300 gr for a 990 Rplxi. In the past I have used shooting heads and found them remarkably easy to cast. This line however is a full sinking, not the Teeny style of a head type system. I have found that I can cast the line ok by extending my stroke all the way back and then all the way foreword and waiting an excrushiatingly long period of time while the rod loads. Is this the norm? I've tried opening the loop on my cast and it has not helped. any suggestions to aid in the ease of use would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
probably has to do with these things (and maybe more):

1) length of the head (longer)
2) grain distribution over length (spread out)
3) your accustomed stroke

The Teeny style is only 24ft long in the head and very densely packed, a shooting head among shooting heads.

Full sinking lines are thin diameter long headed fishing lines that are best cast with a long even keeled stroke and more line in the air (in standard WFS configs).

If you took the same grains spread over 24ft and stretched it out over 50, the line will feel very light until you get a lot in the air.

I would venture that your casting stroke is also tuned into the shooting heads, which are great "get down to business" lines and catch a lot of fish.

BTW - you don't want to open the loop to try to get a better load. If anything the loss of load could be largely due to a circular stroke opening the loop up and dissipating the energy (not focused).

Also 325-350 grains over 24-28ft loads the rod well (I fish it all the time). A full sink of 300 grains is probably that over a lot longer head 35-45ft (?) so it's probably feeling a little light until you get a good length out there.

#3 ·
I had some issues with a 9ft 8wt RPLxi and sink tips. The thing was making me work waaaay to hard. I talked to the Sage crew and they said that the RPLxi was designed around flating lines and 50 to 60 foot casts. They were not suprised by the rod not performing very well with tips. Something else to consider.

#4 ·
questions?

Q: is the rod to stiff ? to were it is not loading right ? or is it to soft to were it over loads and the cast fails ? or are you haveing a problem pulling the line off the water. because you are use to a floating main line and a sink tip ?

A: (1) if the rod is to stiff i would try a heavyer tip
(2)if it to soft maybe a lighter tip
(3) if you are haveing a problem pulling line of the water wich will make the cast fail . try a water haul
(4) you may want to look at line with a floating body and a sinking tip from now on. people have trouble pulling full sinking lines off the water wich could make the cast fail
(5) another test you could do is ask around and see wich friends have a a 250, 350 and 400 sink tip lines to see if this helps load the rod better.

(6)another thing to consider is test casting rods before you buy them to see if they will handle what you want them to

hope that helped good luck and screaming drags to you all stonefly1013.........

#6 ·
just wanted to try sometihing different. I have stuck with the line and am making strides with it. I now can cast it ~ 65-75' with most consistancy. I think I like the integrated head-running system better but I was able to get the line for a song so no real loss if I shelf it after a month anyhow.

Thanks for all your input on this.

#7 ·
Just wanted to mention my own experience with full sinking lines:
I used to use Teeny lines for fast sinking distance casting but could not cast, no shoot, the distance I wanted. One of the reasons was that the thin shooting line got tangled at least 5 out of 10 times, which really irritated me. Also the head would often hit the water in a "not straight" way. Probably both due to my own inabilities in casting.
I then tried to keep more line into the air thus shortening the length of line to be shot. Needless to say that that did not work with a Teeny with a business end of 24 ft.
I switched lines to a Rio DC Full Sink and found that a lot more line could be kept in the air, even to extreme lengths: I shoot out line on my last back cast up to about 60-65 ft and again on my last forward cast. This way it's often possible to cast the full line out of the tip ring (rod used has a fast action (TFO TiCrX 8) with a #9 line, cast with a very tight loop)
Is this really strange or do others also have comparable experiences? :confused:

Adrian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.