Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hello from wisconsin

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wisflyfisher 
#1 ·
Hello fellow flyfisherman!
I am from wisconsin.... My homewaters are the mecan river, the chaffee, lunch creek. I am looking forward to being able to wet a line! Our early season starts March 6th with catch and release on artificials, barbless hooks only.This is about the only time of year that you can truly be alone on our wisconsin rivers. ONLY 10 DAYS!!!!!

#4 ·
opening weekend

This weekend was our opening weekend for early trout fishing in wisconsin. It is a catch and release season, using only barbless hooks on artificial lures....not really a big deal for the fly fishermen, we do this anyway. I was suprised to see all of the life in the river this early in march. There were still snowbanks on the river, and I even managed to get my car stuck in the snow when I was parking! I was expecting to go out and fish streamers for the first week or two, but when I got there on saturday, there were larva all over the rocks and black stoneflies hatching. I have never fished this early in the year, and was amazed to see the river so alive. I caught 4 browns my first day out, all on a beadhead nymph. On sunday i caught 3. They were taking stoneflies off the surface, I was unprepared for a stonefly hatch and the best I could do was throw them the darkest dry fly I had, which was a royal coachman. I had one take it right away, and caught my other two on a nymph. I was fishing the mecan river, upstream of the hwy 22 bridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.