Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cracking head section on Cortland QD 325 line?

6K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  jeffg 
#1 ·
I am a big fan of the Cortland lines, as the record will show. As I was washing the 325 grain QD line off the other day I noticed that the dark sinking section was cracked in multiple locations. This is not something new, in fact I remember moving up to 40, 50 and even 60 dollar lines to get away from cracking line / coatings.

Has anyone else experienced this?

If so, let me know so I can contact the rep for clarification on possible repair or replacement.

Juro

#2 ·
Juro - I've got a plain old 444 sinking line from Cortland and no cracking yet. 3 years old. A cheaper line but no problems. All SA lines I buy crack, which is why I went to an AirFlo Intermediate Clear. I figure if it does crack I can return it to them because of the warranty. I think that no matter how much you pay there's going to be some cracking, sometimes it just depends on the particular line you chose off the shelf.

I have a Cortland Lazer floater going on 3 or 4 that is as slimy as when I bought it and no cracks at all. On the other hand I have a 2yr old Cortland 444 5w floater with cracks up front.

I just don't think you can win with these things. "You get what you pay for" isn't the hard and fast rule. Cortland might replace it though if you get ahold of a rep.

#7 ·
Bob -

Could you please provide us with Tink's contact information by private email? juro@flyfishingforum.com

I will coordinate unless you would prefer to do it through the shop; totally your call.

thanks,
Juro

BTW - Blue Northern's new fly store expansion is incredible... nice job Tom and Bob!

#8 ·
Juro/Bob,

I did buy mine at BN. Been looking for an excuse to drive out there and see the new shop. Would bring it out there if the shop wants to get involved. Otherwise, mail is fine, if of course Cortland is willing to fix/replace it.

Terry

#9 ·
I can get you Tink's phone number or you could just call cortland. I only have one left in stock and will not be back in the store until Tuesday. Going to do a little fishing today and Tom's Wedding is tomorrow. I will try and get info this evening when I pull in to wash to the boat.

#11 ·
Thanks Bob, didn't even mean to imply over-the-counter replacements (per my previous post) but knew you are tight with the rep so I thought I'd ask. On further review, it's a better idea to call Cortland... unless the rep wants to be involved. If I were a rep, I'd like to be involved with flyfishermen directly. I'd like to be involved with the fish directly too

#12 ·
I finally got to speak with the Cortland rep. Poor guy had to go to the Yukon for a fising trip.

He said that everyone should send in the lines asap and Cortland will replace immediately. Also Cortland would like to inspect them to try and determine the cause.

#13 ·
Received mine back yesterday. Took 2 weeks and they sent me the wrong one. I got the Salmon/Steelhead versiojn of the QD which has a floating running line as oppossed to int.
I'm hoping they will rush one out to me. Overall I'm still happy with product and company (and the cute guy I bought it from at Blue Northern
)

TerryW

#14 ·
Juro, et al.-I've had several lines crack from different manufacturers the latest being the cold water striper from Scianglers. Most of the companies if not all will replace the line if you send it back (customer service). I've worked in the plastics industry for most of my life and know that there are many variables that can cause the line to break or crack-storage usuallly isn't one of them unless you put it on top of your furnace. These lines are probably made by an extrusion process and the temperature of the extrusion has alot to do with the hardness of the line, as does the amount of plastisizer that goes into it, also if there is any water in the material(humid days wreck havoc with extruders' products. These are the reasons why these companies want the lines back so they can determine the exact cause for the failures of their products. Price doesn't guarantee line failure, but lot number may especially if the problem was caused by equipment failure at the plant that wasn't caught in time to prevent some lines from being second quality marginally. I hope this helps- I type too slow for the amount of information that should be related about this subject. ronl

#16 ·
Ron -

Thanks for the insightful reply on the topic. I've gone from "irritated about the cracks" to "amazed about the technology" thanks to your description. I am perfectly happy with Cortland and the efforts they've made to bring great line designs to the fly angler, and it stands to reason that everything can't be perfect all the time.

Terry -

Do you happen to have the mailing address for returning lines to the Cortland?

thanks,
Juro

#17 ·
One more update as of 7-20-2000:

Cortland has once again bungled my line replacement. I'm pretty ticked. I urge anyone who deals with their customer service to identify your QD line (SALTWATER not Salmon/Steelhead) and make sure they remember to ship etc. They have failed me 3 times already.
Here's my scenario to date:

1. June 9th QD line cracks
2. June 10 ship back to Cortland
3. 11 days later wrong replacement line shows up
4. Next they say they will ship me new one right away and tell me to return Steelhead QD. They forget.
5. 11 days later (today)I have nothing. Call them, they have no record of me needing a line. Now they say they will send me a new one. I hope they send me 2 by accident, I deserve it.

<a href="http://www.cortlandline.com/contact.html" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.cortlandline.com/contact.html</a><!--auto-->

TerryW

#18 ·
Terry,

I am not making excuses for Cortland and will call the rep on tuesday and explain the problems you have had. I recently ordered 5 SW QD 325's for the shop and they where all back ordered. The may be just shipping you what is in stock.

#19 ·
Bob,

In the end (friday) they overnighted me one. I called back and spoke to a guy named Todd, who was head of the Customer "something or other" dept., and told him of my long saga.
He was a gentleman and got right on it. I'm leary but still a fan of Cortlands products. Thank you for your interest.
Now I can fish deep again. If only my spouse appreciated that new ability I could excersise it.

Terry

#20 ·
Very late into this discussion but...
I cracked the connection of lead head to running line in an orvis depth charge 7 wt. a couple years ago on a very cold day at Scortons--a tiny amount of epoxy and I have gotten two more seasons out of that line with out issue.

I cracked the hell out of the running line of the same line in 10 wt. variety after a tangle formed, which ruined the line. i swore i'd go with Airflo after that for their 5 yr. no crack guaranty, but Orvis replaced for free.

Dryness has seemed to be the culprit both times--either cold dry or hot dried out line sitting on a boat deck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.