Fly Fishing Forum banner

SA Sharkskin for salt

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Tajue17 
#1 ·
Has anybody used Scientific Anglers new SharkSkin line for fishing bones or tarpon? It's an expensive line with some pretty good reviews. :confused: Before I shell out $100 I'd like to know a little bit more about it from the real experts. Somebody that doesn't have a vested interest in selling the line. Thanks.

Heading back to Long Island, Bahamas for a couple of weeks of Bones in Mid April. Any recent reports would be most appreciated.

#2 ·
The only way anyone could fish one for tarpon is if they were fishing for baby tarpon as the heaviest Sharkskin line that I'm aware of is an 8 weight. I've played with it a little bit and think it might be an OK line for bonefish. I don't think it would necessarily be my first choice, though. If you do try one let us know what you think.

#4 ·
Sharky's machine...

Just got my #8 salty sharkskin out on the water for the first time today. Couple first impressions.

1) Feels awfully light, as if it were a toy line and not the genuine article. I'm sure this is an illusion of some kind, though, as they'd have to make it somewhere within the standards of the grain-weight for a #8 line. Probably.

2) Lots of people have bitched about the sound this line makes as you cast it. And bitched. And bitched. I've got to say, so far that's my favorite part about the line. I can actually hear my cast, which actually gives me another way to guage the speed of my haul. And, there's no way it makes nearly enough noise to spook fish. No way.

3) It does cast a mile, but the super long head/front taper makes it take a little while to load. I much prefer my Cortland 555 (which they've sadly discontinued) for actual bonefishing so far. Loads in an instant, shoots a mile, and actually floats.

4) Speaking of floating, this line does and doesn't. The line out fron of the rod that I just cast floats high and easy. No worries, but the line beside me does sink and seems to actually grab the water a little more than you're standard line. Of course, there's probably some physicist or engineer as SA that will argue that with me, but it's my feeling so far. (So's you know, I almost strictly wade fish so place a lot of value on a line that floats beside me while I'm waiting to cast and doesn't sink and catch corals, weeds, shoe laces, zippers, and what all else.)

Ok, so 4 isn't a couple, but that's the skinny so far. I'll update later after I've put it through the wringer. For the next 30 days it'll be my designated bonefish, permit, and baby poon line.

Bonehead

#5 ·
I have a couple of buddies that have had the line and have stopped using it. The big knock that I've heard so far is that the line eats through the ceramic liner on the stripping guide while fighting fish.

My friend had it in a five weight and he stopped using it after he noticed a groove from simply fighting a couple of large trout.

#8 ·
Shark Skin Lines

Don't know what they will do to Ceramic guides, I think as stated they will cause problems.

The one thing I am sure of is if you fish the salt and do not use some type of protection on your stripping finger you will end up with some serious grooves worn into your finger.

The sharkskin will do this to you as well as the Airflo Ridge lines. If you want to expedite the grooves in your fingers just strip in the fish for a while rather than play them on the reel.

#9 ·
I've used Sharkskin in both semi-tropical (Gulf Florida) and SE Alaska waters. It casts OK, but is a nuisance to keep floating. As mentioned above, the sound it makes becomes part of the experience.

Worth the extra cost? Not in my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Eric

#10 ·
let me see I have maybe 7 spools with it in 5-6-7-9-10 weights and even though I have it on my freshwater rods I insist on it being on my saltwater setups! stuff to me is simply awesome and worth every penny,, I also like airflo ridged..

pretty much all my rods have extra spools, with every other line and I let friends do a real life comparison and they see its almost 1/2 the effort casting SS I wouldn't say its more distance though.. as for the guides,, no problem Yet with my rods a Sage-US, St Croix-US, Beulah-Korea, & even my 3-forks "made in China" Cabelas rod! I also use the line on vintage fiberglass and Cane rods but for freshwater where its all small fish.

the sound is music to my ears!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.