Fly Fishing Forum banner

Near Nuff Crayfish (swap entry)

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Here's the warmwater swap entry from nbrandon. I'll let him fill in the recipe following this image.

Nicely done!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hook: 2x heavy 2x long Nymph size 4-8
Tail:
2 strands of pumpkin spinnerbait skirt
2 strands of black spinnerbait skirt
2 strands of crystal flash, whatever color
2 strands of 40 or 50 lb mono.
Rabbit fur - cream, brown, or grey

Body:
Rust, orange, brown, or grey dubbing

Claws:
Grizzley, brown, orange or red saddles

Hackle:
Same as the claws, tied in tail first

Head:
Weight w/ brown barbell or cone heads
Another tuft of rabbit fur over the top.

Tying instructions:
This pattern is really simple, and it doesn't have to look pretty. First, tie in the spinnerbait skirts and crystal flash. Tie your eyes in after that with the rabbit hair over the top. You want the eyes just peeking out from the rabbit hair.

Dub the body about 1/4" and then tie in your claws on either side. You can experiment here. Make one claw bigger, or missing, and also try painting red paint on the tips of the claws.

Tie in your hackle feather with the second claw. Dub all the way up the hook till about 1/4" from the eye. Palmer your hackle and tie it down and trim it. Tie in the rabbit fur, and then figure 8 around the weight. Add a little more dubbing over the weight if you feel like it. Whip finish the head, and you're done!

Neil

#4 ·
Near-Nuff scores on Housie!!

I thought I would bump this thread since Neils swap entry did great for me on smallies yesterday on the Housie. Best fish went about 12 inches - the dace were fond of it too!

It will make a nice addition to the carp armoury once water levels drop a bit more and sight fishing gets going not to mention tempting the odd lunker brown :D

Hey Quentin & Mark - any more thoughts on the Carp clave?:devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.