Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bluegill and Bass fly, Smallies too

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RDJ 
#1 ·
This is a variation of wooly worm that I find very effective anytime fish (bass or bluegill) are on top. Go to walmart or craft store,buy 1/16 in. thick closed cell craft foam. At your tying desk, cut into 1/8 in. wide strips. Nowyou're ready to tie one of my best top water flies. take a #6 or #8 streamer hook, tie in red tag tail, then hackle, then foam strip. wrap foam forward overlapping slightly and tie off, leave room to tie off hackle. wind hackle forward in spiral groove, two or three turns in front of foam then tie off. wind head. drop of cement. Oh, use red thread and make a medium size head. I tie these all the same except for different colors of foam, yellow, green, white, etc. all with grizzly hackle. Last month I caught 23 Bass from 1/4 lb. to 3-1/4 lb. in 2 1/2 hours on a 9' 6 wt. on a, well 5 of these flies in yellow.

#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

That fly sounds like a great pattern and I love to catch bass on top! I'll have to tie a few for next season. I'll post a photo of one and you can let me know if it looks like it's tied correctly.

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.