Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rubber leg problem

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MCorder 
#1 · (Edited)
Ive been experimenting with the deceptively simple looking bug below, and fund that I have minimal repeatability in tying in rubber legs. Does anyone have suggestions on tying them in? I've tried square knots ala a Merkin, and cris crossed thread wraps but haven't gotten consistency from either. This is a good copy but most don't look this way.

Hook: #10 2xl, 2xh Mustad R72 here.
Thread: olive
Tail & legs: green spinner bait skirt material
Body: olive rug yarn, chenile or dubbing, black with white legs & tail also works well

This pattern has been very good on the local panfish & crappy population. Its a copy of a fly I picked up on a business trip but can't remember the name of.

See less See more
#2 ·
John- The problems that you're describing are the very reasons that I use round rubber whenever possible. Flat rubber legs like those from a spinnerbait skirt are tough to deal with. Round rubber behaves very well because no matter where you cinch in down with thread it stays well.

Guess I didn't anwser your question....well maybe I did. If you can, stick with round rubber. I don't know if it's available in barred colors like in your pic, but it might be worthwhile to look.

#3 ·
rubbah

Agree w/Haul.

I like the smaller diameter and flexibility of the round legs. I wish they would make clear ones instad of just black and white.

Not sure what difficulty you're having attaching them, but I double the leg around the thread and lash onto the side of the hook. I find that stretching the stuff a bit as you tie it down makes it easier to work with.

D

#5 ·
Do it like a Salmon Egg

I don't use rubber leags much, but have found it easiest to control by doing a couple of criss cross wraps then making a couple of under wraps under and around the legs. It does a pretty good job at keeping them where I want them. Also try adding a little dab of tying cement to the top of each leg.
Good luck!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.