3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Hook: Daiichi 1730, size 4
Thread: Color to match pattern
Eyes: Dumbell
Tail: Marabou
Body/head: Ice chenille
Legs: Round rubber

This pattern is usually tied with regular chenille and a palmered hackle. I've substituted ice chenille for more flash and simplicity. The first image is a chartruese pattern with a sparse tail and micro ice chenille.

The 1730 hook is just right for this fly. The bent shank keeps the tail elevated nicely in the water.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Mr.Right Flies

Mark

Nice flies. Tradition would have a hackle palmered "wooly bugger" style on those flies. I'm guessing the rubber hackle is sufficient for wiggle and movement. I'm just starting to incorporate rubber hackle into some of my flies but I haven't had a chance to fish them yet. Would you endorse the use of rubber hackle on wet flies and streamers? Up to now I have mainly used it on my topwater patterns.
Don

#6 ·
Don, you're correct. As I've indicated, the original recipe does call for a palmered hackle, but it calls for the rubber legs as well.

There are only two fly types I tie with rubber legs- topwater as you've indicated, and bottom flies like these. Why rubber legs on bottom flies? The action on liftoff and return to the bottom is hard to beat. It drives the smallies nuts. I usually use this type of fly in a clear water sight fishing situation where I can read the fish's response.

I have no real experience in trying to incorporate them into streamers or wet flies per se, so I can't speak to their effectiveness in those types.

But now you've got me thinking.....:)

#8 ·
Giving credit where it's due...

I originally found this pattern in the Warmwater section of the Federation of Flyfisher's pattern encyclopedia. I don't know of the pattern's originator, but the fly tied for the pic in the book is done by Chris Mihulka.

I altered the pattern to suit my needs, but then did some wet lab analysis. :p The results of this testing led to the scorpio pattern that I've just added to the archive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.