Fly Fishing Forum banner

Do you support or oppose the Nantucket Sound Wind Farm?

• Support

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Oppose

Votes: 16 80.0%

Wind Farm Poll

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Purely for fun, let's check the pulse of the board.

Based on what you know today, do you support or oppose the wind farm in Nantucket Sound?

Be honest.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Based on what I know today, I oppose. But there's always a chance that this could change if more info was brought to light. I won't mention all of the issues....suffice it to say that they've been covered well in the other threads.

FWIW, I sincerely hope that this situation resolves itself for everyone's best interests.

#6 ·
Sitting 2500 miles away, don't know the local issues,

but we need to 'wean' ourselves away from oil/coal based generation. If things get interesting (not just the Arab countries) "they've" got us by the nuts already.

What's the up's and down's on the issue back there? Similar proposal for the Columbia River Gorge area and lots of "NIMBY" reaction to that location also.
fae

#7 ·
A buddy at work told me there's one of these farms out west that's now dormant, apparently it was not worth keeping up. If that's the case on dry land I don't see how this project could possibly be worth while. I think that a case study should be done with a small sampling of these whirly birds on coastal land, maybe the folks at W.H.O.I. would take it on.
I am currently opposed to the project due to the unknown impact it may have and my general ignorance of the issues.

#9 ·
Jim,
That is exactly why I was wondering if the technology has changed. The last I saw of this whole thing was that it wasn't worth it quite yet. Too expensive and the return was too little. Just weren't efficient enough yet.

Nick

#11 ·
Driving back to LA a few years back there were miles of them - none of which was moving despite the strong evening breeze. Made me wonder if it was a big waste of $$ at the time?

The search for and implementation of non-fossil based energy sources is a no-brainer but I agree with most folks here, it needs to be thought through rather than rolled out "bull-in-a-china-shop" style.

Its interesting how well Solar power has taken off - we almost take it for granted. Its even huge back in the UK which isn't exactly noted for extended periods of sunshine.

#12 ·
Just to be clear, the poll is specifically for implementation in Nantucket Sound as proposed, not whether wind power is something we need to think about.

I think we all agree on the value of cleaner power, but that is not the point of this poll.

#13 ·
Juro, I haven't been following this but from reading the above posts it sounds (no pun intended) like the wind macines will be off shore. Is this correct?

#14 ·
MJC -

Going back to December 2001 when Brian Casey brought this to our attention, there have been numerous posts on the topic. Try a search for windmill to get the inside scoop.

Yes, these devices are intended to be built on the shoals of Nantucket Sound.

I highly recommend you take a look at the links provided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.