Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead Fly Book

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Can someone reccomend a good book for tying Steelhead flies? I am looking for one that has patterns, reciepes and instructions for a novice please!

Andre

#3 ·
Andre,

The look on your face in that avatar is classic! ;)

The aforementioned Helvie book is good. Also try "Flies for Steelhead" By Stewart/Allen and "Spey Flies and Dee Flies" by John Shewey. The former is comprehensive in styles and patterns, while the latter sticks to its titled genre, but is full of invaluable information!

#5 ·
If you are a beginner would have to go with the Kent Helvie book but that book is light on nymph tying.

For Nymphs, you cannot beat Randall Kaufmann's book. Plus Kaufmanns is a sponsor of the forumn. ;)

Here is a web site link for you also which shows some detailed tying steps online for great lakes steelhead flies which you can apply also.

www.steelheading101.com

Take a lesson if you can, I never did but did the book learning thing 22 years ago.

Good luck, and good tying

PM Out

#8 ·
Unfortunately,

There is no good book that teaches how to tie steelhead flies of all types that also has a good patteren recipe section.

All the aforementioned books are good on patterns but lacking in tying techinique insrtuction.

The best way to go is with a solid tying text such as Dick Talleur's "Versitile Flytyer"; Jorgeson's "Favorite Flies and Their Tying"; Fling and Puterbough's book; Skip Morris's book, etc. and then get a book with pattern recipes in it. I think the Trey Comb's book "Steelhead Flyfishing" is the best one for patterns that is availbale right now. Shewey's dee and spey fly book is a good one but is only covers tying dee and spey flies, not general tying.

Pmflyfisher's suggestion of taking a fly tying class is very sound advice. I learned the hard way by myself with the use of Herter's "Professional Fly Tying Manual" as my teacher. It would have cut years off the learning curve and would have prevented some bad habits that I then had to unlearn from developing. A good fly tying class will have you tying an acceptable fly the first night because you can see it happening and then get the tutoring of the instructor immediately. Well worth the price.

And never buy cheap tying tools, they are false economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.