Fly Fishing Forum banner

Orvis Rocky Mountain Large Arbor or Clearwater

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  labraxmauler 
#1 ·
Hi everybody. This is Ruben from Spain.
I need a cheap backup reel for inshore saltwater use (sea bass, small bluefish...) and I want to choose between these two Orvis reels - the Rocky Mountain Large Arbor IV or the Clearwater IV, both for lines from #6 to #9.
They are reasonably priced now here in Spain (say 95 dollars for the RMLA and 32 for the Clearwater) so I was wondering which one would better suit my needs.
Thank you all.

#2 ·
Ruben! Welcome to the board!!

You're (to my knowledge) our first poster from Spain. (Almost every other country is now represented on the (truely) World Wide Flyfishing Board.

No answer to your question as I don't chase trout, but lots of folks here do. You should have your answer(s) in moments.

But again, welcome to 'our side of the Pond.'

Fred Evans
Ashland, Oregon
USA

#4 ·
Thanks a lot fredaevans and flysully.
I'm sorry I haven't been around for a long time. Just wanted to say I finally went through the cheapest way and got a Clearwater IV. I think salt corrosion won't be a problem, as I always clean and oil every piece of my equipment after use. I have been using a BFR Dragonfly Cartridge 395 in salt water for the last five years without any problem – let's see if I can give the Clearwater a long life... :rolleyes:
Thanks again for you help. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.