Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wooly bugger (or worm) swap

7K views 41 replies 5 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
At some point in time almost all freshwater fisherman use one of these patterns. They are simple to tie and effective. Yet almost everyone ties them differently.

How about it, is anyone interested in a wooly bugger swap?

#5 ·
Great there is interest. For a due date how does February 14'th sound? I think there will be more people interested in this one so I'll set number of flys tied at seven. One fly will go to an auction to support the site and each participant will get six randomly assorted flys back. I'll Pm everyone my address next week.

#10 ·
no sweat~! Just send me the 'extras.!

SDHflyfisher said:
crap i already tied too many i tied ten earlier today figuring that there would be a few more people
i'll still send seven though i need some more of what i tied anyway
7 it is
Actually, GOOD POINT for all. Re-mailing these can get a tad 'pricy' so toss in a couple of bucks to cover the 're-mail' cost.

fae

#15 ·
So for me that means;
Wooly buggers; they have long(er) and bushier tails and longer bodies..
Wooly worms; they are shorter wooly buggers without tails or with a very short and thin tail ?

This has always been a matter of debate with many others, so it would be interesting to hear what others have to say.
I've always wondered what to call a:
"bead headed or spun deer head or no particular head, rubberlegged or no legs, soft hackled or stiff hackled or reverse palmered forward bent hackle, dubbed body or chenille wrap, marabou tailed with or without Crystal Flash, with or without weighting", wooly something?

Anyway, I'll send some patterns that work for me and leave it to others to determine what they are!

#25 ·
Fred,
Holy Peat Water is the norm!
I'll bring some to the Feb.14-15 Clave and hope to meet up with you folks down there.
I also use this pattern in the early spring, some are tied with a black Bead head or a small black Cone head to help sink it and to have it "nosing" in slower water/pools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.