Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cortland Multi-tip lines

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I have a new Cortland Multi-tip line in an 8wt that I have not strung up yet.It is a replacement sent to me from Cortland for a previous line that de-laminated.I noticed that they have changed all of the loops from the small stiff ones to large flimsy ones made of Spectra.I really liked the original line and found that the smaller stiff loops did not seem to hinge much.I am wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in performance in the new loop system?Do the longer flexible loops hinge more?I wanted to get some feedback before I open up the package.I have used similar loop systems in the past and found they did not perform as well.Any opinions would be appreciated.Thanks.

#2 ·
Les Johnson showed me a good trick way back in the Swallows Nest days... take the line at the connection, and hold in in both hands like an upside down U. Raise one hand while lowering the other to simulate an energy wave (loop) passing thru the joint. Play around with it to try to get it to buckle. If it won't, it's probably going to be acceptable under the dynamics of a decent cast.

Don't have any experience with the new Cortland loops, but I do like to make my own loops...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/steelhead/lines/tipsystem.htm

#4 ·
I describe all the materials (I think) in the link above. The core of the actual line is sheathed with a braided nylon cover, then a small loop is formed. The final loop after trimming and aquasealing is approx 1/2" or less. It's a very compact yet totally strong loop. Les also commented that day that these loops were as good as any design he's seen, but that was probably 10 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.