Fly Fishing Forum banner

Thoughts and Prayers Requested

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Paxton 
#1 ·
I'm have been reluctant to write this forum, given that my best fishing buddy is an extremely private person. But at this time I will take the risk of ticking him off. Garry needs all the positive thoughts and prayers he can get.
Since last Thursday, Garry (Polareyeze) has been at Umass Medical Center ICU in "very critical condition". He has a very severe case of a type of baterial pneumonia, that until this Tuesday, the MD's were unable to even identify, no less treat. I called the hospital this morning and his condition remains the same.
Many of you may not even know who he is, as he is pretty quiet, but he's the 6'3", 240 lb giant that boards the shuttle with me and calls me pops , even tough I am only 4 yrs. older than him. :)
I am praying for his complete recovery and hoping that this spring, I can once again accuse him of blocking out the sun as he stands near me on the flats of SB.
Your positive thoughts and prayers for his recovery would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Ron

#4 · (Edited)
Ron..I had rode the boat over with him a number of times...can you keep us posted. I am not far from him in Boston... Will you let us know if he can recieve visitors...hopefully... after they id the problem. I will drop off some fishing mags. Revise:...I ..for some reason thought it was the NE med center.

#5 ·
Just came from the hospital. Garry still in ICU, only visits from family allowed. His condition is still "extremely serious", but his vitals have stabilized today which is at least some improvement from yesterday.
I'll keep you informed when and if he is transferred from ICU.
At this time, they are keeping him unconscious, so that the only energy he expends is breathing.
Obviously he isn't able to read a card at this time, but if anyone desires to send one, the address is: Garry Aho (Patient- 7th floor ICU)
c/o UMASS Memorial Medical Center
55 Lake Ave.
Worcester, Ma. 01604
Your own individual call on sending a card now or later.
Once he can have non relative visitors, I plan on going to the Lower Forty fly shop and get him some mags, so I'll take care of that part. Thanks.
Ron

#6 ·
My thoughts and prayers are with Garry. Though I dont post much on here, I did fish out on SB with the big guy last season. I remember one day last spring I was out there and he absolutely cleaned up; landed like 6 26"+ fish....Its good to hear he stabilized, I look forward to seeing him out there this spring! Get well soon bud.

#8 ·
Thank you all! I will extend your words and thoughts next time I see Garry's wife. When she visits him, she said that she talks to him about fly fishing, knowing how addicted he is to the sport :)
Speaking with my daughter tonight on the phone, she said...the FF crew "is a community....a family", that is what has impressed her the most when we have fished SB together. And she it right!
Cole....you guessed right, that was Garry you fished with. He had told me about that day. He certainly has a nose for the fish. Of course, I tell him that it has nothing to do with skill, it's just that he is taller than I, and gets to see them first. But even I don't believe that :)
Ron

#9 ·
My thoughts are with you all. Please keep us updated. Hope Garry soon feels the tug on the line and the whrrr of the reel soon.

#11 ·
Ron, I'm not a religious person, but I do know about bonding and compassion for one another. It appears that Garry is in the right place to addresss his pneomonia. I hope with the advent of science that it addresses his acute situation.

The month of May is near. Lets celebrate the event in May with Garry, you, Amy, Chris and me on the flats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.