Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cuba bound

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Trevor B 
#1 ·
I'm off to Cuba this coming Saturday for a week. Fishing with the folks at Paradon for one day at least, and a bunch of DIY with another fellow. Have to combine fishing with family duties, but am sure I'll get a fair bit of fishing in. I hear there are small tarpon and cuda in the lagoons at the resort, and a nice flat about a mile walk away that has bonefish and permit. Will post a report when I get back. Rum, cigars and fishing here I come!

#5 ·
Cayo Coco report

Hi,

I have been unable to post any pics on this site from my Cuba trip last month. I will keep trying because we were on some awesome flats, and you need the pictures to appreciate them.

I arrived in Cayo Coco on April 5th and went out with the folks at Los Penos on April 7th. About 1/4 mile from the dock we were in an area that had many nice tarpon (60-80lb range). Those crafty things managed to stay out of casting range all morning, just teasing us. Everytime we tried to move closer to them, they would move out of range again. Frustrating, but still great to see them break water. Off we went looking for bones and permit. While on a flat known for permit I saw the tell-tail sign of mudding bonefish. Hooked two on consecutive casts, one threw the hook and one opened up a #6 saltwater hook. Frustrating but fun.
We then staked off the boat and starting walking an absolutely massive flat (wish I could post a pic). When we were a 1/2 mile or so from the boat, we noticed the black coulds of a front coming towards us. High wind and very brief but heavy rain hit us. The wind lasted a couple of hours and we decided to walk into the wind for a while and then fish with the wind back to the boat. While we saw the odd fish, it was extremely difficult to accurately place a cast, as we had difficulty standing, much less to cast. Once we made the turn, things picked up, the wind dropped slightly, and we could more easily see fish in the waves. Once nice bone (guide estimates 6lb, but I think he was being generous) was landed shortly after we turned downwind. Three more were hooked in very shallow water (ankle deep) as we got near the boat. With tide rapidly dropping and the afternoon getting late we had to abandon that area and head back to the dock. Great experience.

April 8th, I went with a friend down the beach from the resort to a massive flat about 1 mile from the resorts. We saw bones, cuda and I landed what I think was a blue runner. Great fun, but the tides were not favourable for us, very early in the morning. I did make a huge mistake and paid th price. I was wearing wet suit boots and sand got inside them and gave me many huge painful blisters, so much so that I could barely walk the rest of the week, much less fish. Lesson learned and a pair of Patagonia Marlwalkers are on order. Family committments prevented any more fishing except for a brief visit to the flat at the very end of the trip when my feet could stand the walking, but only saw one uninterested bonefish some cowfish, and some large cuda.

If I can get the pics posted, I'll do so as soon as I can. You really gotta see these flats. They are huge.

Lewis

#7 ·
Picture upload help

Hi folks,

Tried again this AM to upload a few pics from Cuba, but am getting a failed picture upload attempt notice. Pics are jpgs and are reduced in size (36kb) but still will not load. Any thoughts/suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.