Fly Fishing Forum banner

2005 Ocean Clave?????

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  topwater 
#1 ·
with the developing harvest mess the makah's have created, i just wanted to check to see if there was still interest in a neah bay clave or not.

i understand that many in the sportfishing community are talking of a boycott of neah bay for the tribe's overharvest of chinook salmon in their winter troll fishery.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/fishing/2002166414_salmon01.html

if there is still interest in a clave, there are ways for small boaters to avoid neah bay (snow creek). i will remain in neah bay due to the first class facilities for long term moorage that do not exist anywhere else nearby, and the fact that i'm going to continue to support businesses run by people who work hard for sportfishermen (gordy at the cape motel).

i am still willing to host, but i need to know if the interest has dried up.

chris bellows

#4 ·
I'm in (still)........

The Makahs have there own way of doing things and have for thousands of years. They also have the "Hot Corner" Cape Flattery and I am not about to cut off my nose to spite my face by not fishing out there next Summer. I am sure that I will not fish Halibut out there this coming season but I will certainly be there for Kings and Cohos!

#5 · (Edited)
Coho clave

I have the dates marked off on my calendar, figuring to camp out for the weekend, and would expect to go after Coho's, regardless of what the Makah have done.

As to the exact details of where to spend dollars over the weekend, I think a little time would give a better perspective on that. If a serious boycott is taking place for the right reasons, I would not want to cross the line if it will help make the point, as sportsmen have so few avenues open to them to be heard.

But I will be planning to ff the area on that weekend based out of some place in the area.

Topwater,
you mention facilities in the area near Neah Bay: are they suitable for what would be needed for a Clave? You mention small boat moorage, how about camping, groceries, etc.? And thanks for your willingness to host the Clave!!

#7 ·
snow creek offers moorage, launching, and camping. the moorage and launch are fine for short term usage, but they do not have power or freshwater (i need the water since i keep my boat in the water from april through the end of september).

if i host, i would like to hold it at the cape motel and rv park. there's a nice corner back where i park that i'm sure we can reserve for one weekend. the cape is run by a great guy who has fought for years to give us better seasons at neah bay (both halibut and salmon). i believe in supporting the good guys, and guys like gordy shouldn't suffer for the sins of makah tribal trollers.

i'll have more information after the 1st North of Falcon meeting and once i return to the northwest and get moved back out to neah bay.

hopefully we can all get together and have a great time fishing the best area in washington state.

chris bellows

#9 ·
Sad Sad situation.

This morning on NPR there was a spot on sport fishing Coho in Washington and Oregon. It said that WDFG the ODFG and the feds will most likely be cutting way back on the Coho season in the salt. Poor ocean conditions sited.

#11 ·
yes, the coho forecasts are down. the problem is that the columbia river late hatchery returns are tiny, and without those hatchery fish available to minimize our impacts on oregon coast natural and thompson/fraser coho, our seasons will be shorter.

so the season will be shorter, but the good news is that close to 2 million washington origin coho will still be passing by neah bay this summer, along with the large pink runs destined for the fraser river and puget sound (16 million to the fraser and 2 million to puget sound rivers).

if you are averaging only a fish a day, you need to leave the marina :hihi:

chris

#14 ·
i am looking at august 13-14 (saturday and sunday).

i will still be chartering during those days, but will be able to do considerable leg work prior to the event getting things together for everyone.

i was holding these days open, but after the north of falcon meeting i had to move people booked late in the season (which will be closed) to my only open days.

other weekends would still work for me to do the legwork prior to the event.

chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.