Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage 6100-4 XP and St. Croix SCV 10' 6-wt.

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 · (Edited)
... has anyone fished or cast both of these enough to make a comparison on action? Or perhaps I should ask, which one's faster?

#2 ·
They are pretty close in how fast they are. However, the Sage is a far smoother and nicer rod to cast. The St. Croix is medium-fast (like the XP); but it feels like you have to push it to cast it well. The Sage just applies the casting energy in a very smooth manner and as such is far more enjoyable to cast any length of time.

The newest, top-of-the-line St.Croix is an entirely different matter. It is a fast-action rod that has the smooth power application experienced casters like. Unfortunately, the SCV does not have this characteristic.

#3 ·
Sean, can't speak to the xp 610 but!!

I've got the 710 xp and it's my single hander of choice! Two of the best fly guys on the upper Rogue use the 8 wt and they 'clean up.'

One hooks close to 200 fish per year (no kidding!) the other well over 100 using a two-three heavy fly set up running deep, dark and dirty on the 8 wt version of this rod.

I'm not even a shaddow of a candle to 'fish-head on the board' or his fishing partner 'Bob.'

Back to the topic. For fishing 'close,' dry line or a 7 wt (one up) sink tip) this is a wonderful rod in hand. Given my right hand is a $33,000 re-done HMO 'job,' it take a heck of a rod not to 'stress out' what's already 'busted.' 8 wt, and an hour and I'm grinding my choppers in .. well, it isn't pleasent.

Single hander of choice. Sage 'done it right' with this design.
fae

#4 ·
Flytyer - Thanks for the insight, but the SCV (Legend Elite) is the newest rod by St. Croix, having their smooth taper blank design. That was the one I'm interested in. So from your post do I take it that the two rods have very similar actions? I already know that the Sage rod will do what I need it to do, just curious as to whether the St. Croix Legend Elite would do the same thing.

Thanks Fred, for the input.

#5 ·
flyfisha1

OOPS! The comments I made about the SCV were really about the St.Croix SCIV; boy do I feel dumb!

You are correct in surmising that the Sage XP and the St. Croix Elites are very similar in action. In fact, I like the St. Croix Elite just a little bit more than the XP because it is a hair faster than the XP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.