Fly Fishing Forum banner

CFR fly donation

6K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Casting For Recovery (CFR) provides fly-fishing retreats specifically tailored for women who have or have had breast cancer. We seek to enhance the lives of breast cancer survivors by providing retreats designed to promote and support mental and physical healing. We are committed to socioeconomic and cultural diversity.

I have made contact with the director of CFR and put their mission statement above with his permission. At some point in our lives, every one of us will be directly affected by cancer, whether we have the illness ourselves or it's a loved one dealing with it. CFR provides a unique opportunity for breast cancer patients and survivors to gain mutual strength, respect, and support for one another. You can get much more information about the organization at www.castingforrecovery.org.

One way to help CFR is through the donation of flies that the women can use. In the spirit of our Big Brother Day, I think it would be an outstanding gesture for the Forum here to make a group donation of flies tied by some of our members. We ourselves are maturing as a group, and with that maturation comes an increase in our circle of influence in the local, national, and global community.

Can I see a show of hands from those who would like to join in with a donation of flies? The women fish on trout streams and ponds, so trout flies are in order. Once we get a handle on the number of folks donating, I'll PM my address, put them all in some nice fly boxes, and send them off with a cover letter of support and well wishes. This group is located in MA, so there may be potential to offer time in teaching on the water. Let's see how the fly donation goes, and if there's enough interest from CFR then maybe we can get some members here to help out one weekend on the water.

So, who's in?

See less See more
#5 ·
Suess....the organization is pretty steadfast in its approach and focuses on trout. The gentleman I've corresponded with was pretty clear about that. I guess I can understand....the heavier gear required for the salt might be a bit much for someone undergoing treatments.

Striblue.....you could always send some of those Carrie Stevens streamers you've been meaning to do. ;)

Thanks guys, and keep 'em coming. :)

#8 ·
I'm in, but............

I haven't tied a trout flie in 15 years. I strictly salmon/steelhead tie. BUT, I can tie up some wooley buggers if that's ok? I have the colors that I could simply change my steelhead buggers to standard buggers by downsizing/recoloring.

That ok?

#12 ·
Pete- They'll be sent to me first, so I can organize them into some nice boxes and then send them all in the name of our group here.

Steelheader69- Wooly Buggers are great!

Juro- I need to work out more details for an interactive thing. There are many people who are already helping them on the water and with instruction, and these time slots are filled pretty far in advance. Let's see how this donation goes, and if there's some momentum then I can organize something, even if it's a year in advance.

SDH- As many as you like.

Keep 'em coming!

#15 ·
Guys- I'm gonna make this thread sticky for about a week so that everyone gets a fair chance to see it. John D has also posted announcements in the Trout Forums directing folks here.

After about a week, I'll unstick the post and send out mailing info and due dates. It sounds like a lot of you are ready to go with this....if so, please wait until my address is sent out.

Thanks very much for the response so far.

#16 ·
Some questions and directions....

I'd like to help out, too - but I need some direction. What types and sizes of flies do they need? For example, ....

a. Wets, dries, streamers or nymphs?
b. Hook size range?
c. Any preference of patterns?
d. Do they fish streams, or ponds?

Thanks in advance for your help.

(I had a younger brother that died of soft-tissue melanoma - this is one of the normal culprits for this type of surgery!)

BobK

#17 ·
Bob and any others who may be wondering....

Any generic dry, wet, nymph, or streamer is welcome and will get heavy use by the group. Here's a list directly from their website:

The following list of flies are the most desirable for use at our retreats. Feel free to expand on the list as you wish, as we often experience differing conditions that warrant a wide variety of patterns and sizes.

Pattern Size

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adams 12,14
Caddis 12,14
Attractor Patterns (dry) 12,14
Griffith's Gnat 16
BH Hares Ear 10,12
Stonefly Nymph 10,12
BH soft hackle 10,12
Terrestrials 10,12
Woolly Buggers (lightly weighted) 6,8

Of course this is just a guideline, so feel free to include any others that you think just might do the trick.

Oh, and they fish both streams and ponds.

#18 ·
Copied from the CFR website.

Flies for Retreats

The following list of flies are the most desirable for use at our retreats. Feel free to expand on the list as you wish, as we often experience differing conditions that warrant a wide variety of patterns and sizes.

Pattern Size
Adams 12,14
Caddis 12,14
Attractor Patterns (dry) 12,14
Griffith's Gnat 16
BH Hares Ear 10,12
Stonefly Nymph 10,12
BH soft hackle 10,12
Terrestrials 10,12
Woolly Buggers (lightly weighted) 6,8

#19 ·
I've been there too

I was going to add. My Dad just came out of cancer surgery. He had a comment easily treated one (prostrate), but in my family it's a killer. 3 of my 7 uncles died from it, and my grandfather had it as well. My Dad made son #4. He lucked out, they were able to get it all out in his surgery a few weeks ago. He just went to doctor for his testing, and they gave him a 93% chance that he'd never get that cancer again. Now, just waiting for the final release from the doctor so I can go on another fishing trip with my original fishing partner.

Ok, will tie up some wooley buggers. Will make a variety of colors. I do believe I could probably make some nymphs too. I'll see what I can do.

#24 ·
Information request.....

Hey, for those of us who have "too many rods and reels".... (I know - you never have too many - but..for a worthy cause...)
can they use any rods or reels, good, useable, in very good shape and well-maintained, but gathering dust in a corner? Obviously, trout size, of course.... (And with mine, a good line would be included, as well!)

Just a thought. (Maybe even Hal would consider looking at his ol' cast-offs). And for his "thrifty tax accountant", donations to a non profit organization are tax deductible....(ad nauseum).

I'll get him started on at least perusing the idea - maybe I can shame him into "sharing" if they need some. :hehe: :hehe: :devil:

BobK

#25 ·
OK, I am back from the big spring steelhead trip, my body has just about recovered from the long 15 hour days of steelheading wading cold rivers and hiking through national forests etc.. in pursuit of the chrome warriors. My bad luck streak was broken (decisively) and my fly fishing spirit is renewed

Will tie up some trout nymphs and micro streamers for the ladies.

I would not subject them to my trout dry flies. :D

Let me know the due date, etc..

PM Out

#26 ·
I'm in! I think I have a few size 6 - 8 lightly weighted woolly buggers around :hehe: . I'll also tie up a few of the others so I can learn how to tie those as well.

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.