Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dry fly sinks ??

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  RTF 
#1 ·
Ok I'm very new to this, but got a dumb question. While flyfishing for panfish yesterday, for the very first time ever, I noticed that after the second cast or so all of my dry flies wanted to go under the surface :confused: Or if I slowly retrieved the fly it would get dragged under and then it was all done for until I got it dry again. Is this common with an un experience flyfisherman,...sinking his dry flies, cause he dont know what the heck he is doing.

BTW caught a ton of fish:)

#2 ·
There's a handful of things that might be going on:

1. Your tippet is too heavy for the size of the fly, so it gets pulled under in short order.

2. You're imparting to much action to the fly. Typically, dry flies are cast and let to drift with the current. In the absence of current, the fly is cast and left to sit. Occasional twitches that barely move the fly are usually all of the movement necessary.

3. You're not treating the fly with floatant. There are many sprays, pastes, and such that can be put on dry flies prior to fishing (sometimes even the night before) that will help a dry to float for an even longer time.

Keep in mind that if your fly becomes waterlogged, false casting may be able to dry it out enough to get a few more floats out of it. And FWIW, tiny poppers are dynamite on panfish and float forever without treatment.

Glad to hear of your success. :)

#3 ·
Rob

Are you using a floatant?

If you get a fish, after releasing the fish make sure you wash the fly thoroughly in the water before drying it off. I find that blowing onto the fly hard a few times gets it pretty dry.

Then apply some floatant (not too much - just enough to help the fly stick in the surface film) and allow it to 'dry ' and you're all set.

#4 ·
Plus when you catch a fish the fish "slime" will take all the surface tension off the fly. You'll need to wash the fly if it sinks after catching a fish. Usually you can just hold it under the water and rub it gently with your fingers. A few false casts and your fly is dry again.

Speaking of false casts......Dry flys have a hackle that is wound on the fly. If you notice that your leader starts to twist it is because you are making false casts and not letting the leader unwind after your casts. Not much you can do about it except be aware of it and take the time to allow it to untwist every so often.

John

#5 ·
Thanks !

Yup, I am not using any floatant, just learned what it is now by reading the post replies. And I was catching fish without washing the fly. I was truly under the impression a dry fly always floated.

Also after my dry flies get soaked, they really look like crap and the wings around the coller get destroyed after a while and after I catch fish on them too.

Like I said I am learning and appriciate all the info.

Thanx

RTF

#6 ·
In one weeks time I have learned a ton of stuff by just going out and doing it. I now have some floatant and it's called Ginks. Works real good and keeps the fly a float. My only question about floatant is, doesnt this stuff bother the fish ? The taste and smell ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.