Fly Fishing Forum banner

Caddis for Kids 'Tie-a-Thon' Press Release

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Don Johnson 
#1 ·
Just wanted to post this. A VERY good cause and well worth supporting if you can. As a child I spent a lot of time at Childrens with a life threatening illness and any support they can get is going to a good place. I know I will be there to show my support!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contacts:
Don Johnson, 360-432-0402
Kira Haller, Children's Hospital
206-987-4987

Caddis For Kids to Benefit Children's Hospital

Seattle, WA

Don Johnson's Third Annual "Caddis for Kids" Charity Tie-a-Thon will be held Friday and Saturday, November 21st and 22nd at the Avid Angler Fly Fishing Outfitters (17171 Bothell Way NE, A130, Lake Forest Park, Washington, 206-362-4030). Don, a noted angling writer and professional fly-tier, will attempt to dress over 500 Miracle Caddis flies in just 24 hours. Net proceeds will benefit the uncompensated care program at Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center.

The 'tie-a-thon', which begins at Noon the 21st, will be followed by a fly-tying demonstration conducted by a panel of some of the finest fly-tying artists ever assembled including Alec Jackson, Norm Norlander, Mike Croft, the Avid Angler's own Nathan Keen, Stu Farnham, Ms. Pat Bolton, and Scotty Howell. The presentation-grade flies dressed by the panelists will be auctioned at a later date with the proceeds benefiting Children's Hospital.

For pledges, donations and/or corporate sponsorship information contact Kira Haller of Children's Hospital Foundation at 206-987-4987 or Don Johnson at 360-432-0402.

About Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center
As both a community hospital for greater Seattle and the pediatric referral center for the Pacific Northwest, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center provides directly or in partnership with others, excellent pediatric care, education and research programs. Children's is an advocate on behalf of health care needs of children at local, state and national levels. Children's provides health care appropriate for the special needs of children regardless of race, sex, creed, ethnicity or disability. Financial assistance is provided based upon family need and hospital resources. Children's has been recognized by Child magazine and U.S. News & World Report as one of the best children's hospitals in the country.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the post Sean!

This year's event has the potential to not only surpass last year's, as far as the amount raised is concerned, but it has the potential to supercede the combined total of ALL 4 of my other Tie-A-Thons combined.

Last year I had 2 major companies donating product for the drawing. This year I have 18 and still haven't heard back from many more as they were busy preparing for the Denver tackle show. There will be rods from Sage, TFO and St. Croix as well as a CUSTOM BAMBOO ROD made by Tom Bowden. Bob Trigg's guided trip is certain to trigger a lot of ticket sales as well and I much appreciate his contribution to the cause. All this and much more and the tickets for the drawing are only a buck each!

I look forward to seeing and meeting many of you there; please contact me directly if there are questions, and thank you for your time and support of this endeavor!

Regards,
Don Johnson

#3 ·
A NEW event update

Recently added to the looong list of stuff for the drawings:

Very talented amateur bamboo rod maker Tom Bowden is offering a custom made "Caddis for Kids" bamboo fly rod, with all proceeds benefitting the Caddis for Kids donation to Children’s Hospital.

For this drawing, the winner chooses the taper that fits their fishing needs. The rod will be a 2 piece with 2 tips and will include premium components donated by Golden Witch Technologies.

Taper choices for the winning fisherman are:

· 7 foot 4-weight “Sir-D.”...a popular modern bamboo rod taper, developed by famous Rodmaker Wayne Cattanach from Michigan. It is a fast action dry fly rod; perfect for small trout streams. An interesting feature designed into the taper is a subtle “slow spot” in the butt section which makes the rod great for roll casting.

· 7-1/2 foot 5wt. “Dickerson 7613.”...a classic taper by Lyle Dickerson that has amazing power for its size. Dickerson tapers incorporate swelled butt sections that add stiffness while distributing weight in a way that makes the rod feel light in the hand. This is a very versatile rod for medium sized trout streams.

· 8 foot 6-weight “Garrison 212E.”...a taper designed by the legendary Everett Garrison, author of the book that started the renaissance in bamboo rod making. This is a smooth, medium action rod that’s a pleasure to cast and fish. The action is light enough for small dries and light tippets, but strong enough to punch out large stonefly and October caddis imitations.

The Winner will pick a taper and then the rod will be made “from scratch” starting with a raw culm of Tonkin cane. It is expected that the rod will take two to three months to complete. The rod will have premium grade components donated by Golden Witch Technologies, including chrome guides, nickel silver ferrules, choice of cork grip and reel seat styles, a wool rod bag, and a simple PVC rod case. The words “Caddis for Kids 2004” will be written on the rod as a memento of your donation to this great program.

This fine bamboo rod will be part of the items given away during the drawings at the 4th Annual Caddis for Kids Tie-A-Thon on Friday and Saturday, November 5th and 6th at the Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park, WA. For more information, please contact Don Johnson at caddisforkids@yahoo.com or the Avid Angler at 206.362.4030 or 877.347.4874. Proceeds of Don Johnson's Caddis for Kids benefit Seattle Children's Hospital.

#4 ·
Event Results

2004 Caddis for Kids RESULTS:

392 flies in 24 hours. A bit down from last year's 501 but this year I had a more labor-intensive drawing system because I had an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE more stuff to give away! 4 rods, 1 reel, a guided trip, fishing time at Trophy Lakes, etc., etc., etc.... a whole lot of stuff! It took more time to explain what was going on, which took time away from the vise but there were other reasons as well.

Having Alec Jackson spin yarns about NW steelheading legends for about 7 hours on Friday was more interesting than tying and I am not a decent muti-tasker. I guess you could say my lolly-gagging cut down on the productivity but that's how it goes sometimes. As it turns out, I had more people buying tickets for the drawings than I did filling out pledge forms for pledges-per-fly so I didn't really miss out on a significant amount of $$$ for the charity.

Now, the important part:
As it stands now, a tad over $2500 was raised over the weekend. There are still some contributions in the mail and some pledges that need collecting but overall the best year thus far as far as actual collections are concerned.

This brings the total for all events ever held (in both Spokane and Seattle) to about 15K (over the four year history of the event) that has been raised for pediatric healthcare services.

Thanks to all who came out in support of the event, the sponsors, donors and congrats to all the winners...and there were many of those, especially the kids!

There is still time to donate and to do so all you need to do is send a check to me MADE OUT TO CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL at the address listed below.

Regards,
Don Johnson

Caddis for Kids
2411 Saint Andrews Drive
Shelton, WA 98584

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.