Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backing ?

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I will be spooling two fly reels soon.

Wonderiing if I should depart from the old tried and true Dacron and go with any of the new wonderlines ?

Any help appreciated..

Thank you

#2 ·
Ok.... no takers.... I'll bite.

I'm a dacron man. The stuff is strong, lasts forever and doesn't burn your fingers. I know it doesn't have the capacity of gell-spun but I've never been 250 yds into my backing wishing I had another 100 yds. For 99% of my fishing I'm sticking with dacron. I think the diameter and color are those last little details that make a nice reel look like the real thing.

#3 ·
Thanks

Appreciate your comments Dave....you have great experience and that helps.

I am going for the Dacron figuring the "if it ain't broke........" theory ....

Never really had a problem with Dacron either and the two times in my life I was almost spooled....reeling in another 100 yards would have killed me not the fish!!!!!!!!

last question.... do you spool the backing on yourself or let a flyshop do it... my feeling is if I do it I would tend to criss cross more than a machine and maybe avoid cutting into the rest of the backing...if you follow my logic...

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.