Fly Fishing Forum banner

Selective ? Stripers

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
On two different flats yesterday we ran into similar situations.

Flat #1. Open water, blind cating first and fish were hitting silverside & sand lance flies. Repeated our drift multiple times & each time more fish were finning on top + they became more selective on each drift.
- Changing flies each drift produced.
- No visible bait.
- The fish would hit a black over silver lure every time :confused:
- I kept a fish from that flat and the stomach had 1 crab in it.

FLat #2 was a hidden back woods creek HUGE fish finning on top, again there was no visible bait. We threw every fly & every line leader combo at them with no results. There were so many big fish that we would line them having 5 - 12 fish erupt when the line landed....
- I would hook up on a flat bait that gave a profile of a fishes belly every time I threw it.

Any ideas as to what they would be feeding on?

Thanks,

Roop

See less See more
#3 ·
I ran into the #2 situation about a week ago. I was in brackish water. My guess and only a guess is that the stripers might have been feeding on white perch eggs or recent spawn..the perch eggs usually free flow with the currents and hatch in a few days.

#4 ·
I don't suppose...

The AC/DC CD in the 125db range had any affect?!

If they are so selective, then I guess BIG white phishbelly flyz are in order...please post tying instructions...:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.