Fly Fishing Forum banner

Striper Fly Action II

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Bob Pink 
#1 ·
Trying to get back on track...

Having spent my time trying to match patterns & bait, I am going to be trying flies that focus on similar colors with much more action to the fly.

Have done so with a fly that imitates a top water rubber bait that was disgustingly successful last year (it was the orange ugly fly that was auctioned at Wilmington) and now I'm focusing on baitfish.

Using white zonker strips for the belly & trying sheep, craft fur & yak hair for the wing/ top. Any recommendations on keeping the wing from fouling?

Roop

#2 ·
Jeff.... Try one of Bob Pink's flies he tied a long time ago... by attaching TWO rabbit strips or zonker strips up and down. I think he needed to find a type of glue that would work on the leatherish skin and found that the glue used for "Birdies" in badminton worked or the glue that attached feathers to arrows.

#3 ·
Jeff

A couple of things that have worked for me:

1) Install a stiff mono loop in the horizontal plane at the rear of the fly before tying in the tail materials. Doesn't interfere with hookups and works well.

2) Use a bendback / keel-hook. Upside-down seems to be naturally anti-fouling and no less effective hook-up. Also you can really get "down and dirty" when the fancy takes you.

#4 ·
Part of the problem with that combination could be the difference in physical characteristics between what's above the midline and what's below. One is short hair attached along it's length to a piece of hide and the other is a loose waving length of hair secured only from the head. Or maybe that's the effect your after, I don't know - but as far as fouling, I would think the rabbit is more prone to foul.

But if you wanted to hold the hair in a general direction off the hook bend how about tying it buffy style with an underlying ezbody cone, or else doing the layered flared hair trick that Bob Pop has mastered, a layer of softex, or last but not least deploy the silicone prophylactic tactic.
:devil:

#5 ·
If you go wth striblue's suggestion about the double bunny, contact cement works well for keeping the 2 strips together. Aquaseal or Goop might work too.

Nat at Fistlight ties some awesome silverside patterns using a rabbit strip threaded into some mylar tubing. This is tied in at the head and shrouded by angel hair and a dab of loon soft head. Doesn't foul and you'd have to see the action in the water to beleive it.

Might be worth checking them out for some inspiration some time...

#6 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I was never really a fan of the double bunny but wasn't the glue the kind you use to cement fletching (?) to arrow shafts?

Anyway, appreciate the thought, will mug somebody with a digital camera when I get some OTW testing done to post results.

Best of luck,

Roop

#7 ·
More no-fouling tricks

Roop,

When Dave Skok ties his Mushmouth he applies a tuft of synthetic hair like stuff (ultra-hair or super-hair or whatever) along the hook shank and extending beyond the hook bend by whatever amount you desire. Then he covers that tuft with Softex.

This trick has kept some flies that I have tied from fouling and I find it to be really simple if you can afford to wait for the Softex to dry. The softex makes this tuft of hair more rigid but not so rigid that it ruins all of the action in the fly.

Peace out.

-Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.