Fly Fishing Forum banner

Falling in Love

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Reef Runner 
#1 ·
I'm trying to fall in love and so far it hasn't been going too well...

Basically there are simply too many great rods on the market.

I'm looking to buy a high-end 8wt to compliment my 10wt GLX - I love the way the 10wt casts can send a shooting head further than I can see and I just know I'm not close to testing the potenial of the rod.

I busted my elbow and wrist a few months ago, and I doubt I'll be able to do the heavy weight blind casting that I generally do in the spring - so I figure its time I learned a new trick, maybe even try this sight fishing thing I've heard so much about.

So I was wondering how do you guys choose your rods - I would perfer to test cast them but so far I haven't found places that carry the rods I want to cast - maybe its the time of year or maybe there are just too many of them. Reading reviews doesn't offer much help since realistically all these rods are great.

So Far I've cast the Sage XI2 the Winston XTR and Boron iix but I haven't found a dealer that had the Loomis Cross Current, Scott rods or T&T.

Have any suggestions on rods I defintely don't want to miss, or any other advise I'd be most appreciative.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd say go to the Wilmington Fly Show at the Shriners in Wilmington MA put on by Paul Fuller, it's the last big show before the fishing starts and a chance to get in a lot of reps with available rods.

My own preferences... I fish a 9wt on the flats because the fish are big and will run twice as hard because of the fear factor in skinny water. I like the old RPLXi 9wt because it's limber and does a very good job with the short game unlike some of the stiffies on the market. Yet it does not buckle or leave you short when it's time to go l-o-n-g. A very nice design that filled the bill well on flats now discontinued, you can find them listed at great prices lately. I haven't fished the new Sages to comment further. Assuming you are looking in this price range the Scott STS was a su-weetie. The HII T&T was the last rod I fell for, four pc 7wt for bonefish. Still seeing stars ;)

You're right there are so many to choose from! It would take me too long to post all of the nice casting tools I've played it. Drive up for the show in March.

#3 ·
The Bear's Den carries Scott rods so there's one place to test cast another one...

When I was searching for an 8 weight a few years ago I ended up with the Albright EXS. It casts like a dream. I cast a $600 Scott rod back to back with it and it was hard to tell the difference between the two, so I ended up with the Albright that was half the price at $350.

#5 ·
The poker sticks are best reserved for depth charge type sinking lines IMHO. Sorry to see that the casting hand is injured. A rod that loads well and does most of the work for a 50-60 foot cast is what you need. Take Juro's advice and go to the show. Bring a reel and 8# line you will be using most of the time for fitment. Some rods work best with one particular line. So......pick the line you want and will use the most and then the rod that compliments the line. Lines are very expensive as you well know. The subject title of which line for which rod is often posted. Rarely, if ever, does anyone ask which rod for a particular brand line.

Phil

#6 ·
I use Sage, T&T and Loomis. Some are same wt's just different mfg's. Haveing broken all of them at one time or another. I'm now hooked on Loomis with their Xpetitor service. T&T had the worst service turn around and that was almost 4 months. The season is just to short. Sage was better but cost for service was a little high with about 1 month turn around. I had new Loomis rods in hand w/in 3 days. That's tough to beat. High end rods are not inexpensive and depending on what your looking for in a rod, just about all mfg's will have something that fits the bill, service turn around is very high on my list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.