Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly Fishing around playa del carmen

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  profota 
#1 ·
I'm planning a trip to playa del carmen in may and would like to know about fishing in the area. Is is better to fish cozumel or ascesion bay. Has any one fished both or either. Looking for help and directions. Do you need or have to have a guide in cozumel. Is there any fly fishing to be done in playa del carmen. thanks

#2 ·
#3 ·
I will also be fishing Cozumel in May. I booked a day with Alex Euan. It is my understanding that there is really no access to the northern flats there without a boat and Alex has had good feedback on a number of forums. I'll be sure to post a report when I get back. I haven't researched the other surrounding areas since I will be there for a wedding and partying the rest of the week:lildevl: .

Sean

#5 ·
I fished Playa Del Carmen a few years ago, but in the Fall. In May you will be into prime Marlin season if you choose to go deep water. We were using traditional spin gear not Fly Rods. I did use my Fly Rod on Baracuda. You can get into some huge fish at times. I was staying in Cozumel when I was there and had no idea of the Bonefish Flats they had. Maybe next time.

#6 ·
cozumel fishing

I fished with Alex two years ago in April. He is an excellent guide and I found the fishing very enjoyable. There are ocean side flats, mangove lined creeks and more open flats, all with typical Mexican bones (2-4 pounds). I stayed in Playa Del Carmen and took the ferry early in the morning, and was met by Alex. I have also fish Boca Paila, and the only real difference is the length of rutted road, and size of fishable waters, both of which are much larger/longer in Boca Paila.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.