Fly Fishing Forum banner

bluegill rekindled

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  RTF 
#1 ·
The last three afternoons I have rekindled my love of bluegills. I have been fishing out of my yak trying to get used to it for a trip to the Cape for stripers. The small ponds that I am fishing are loaded with bluegills. They have sucked down, slashed at, ignored, and jumped over my poppers with abandon.
I'm listening to a Frank Zappa tune in which the ending refrain is "How could I be such a fool?" This simple line represents me and the bluegill. In my quest for big fish I had forgotton the fish that turned me into a fly fisherman in the first place. I know its been said before but if these guys were 5 plus pounds I wouldn't get past the nearest pond. Oh ya a 1/2 pond bluegill can move a yak. :chuckle:
shadfreak or sould I say bluegillrekindled

#2 ·
They are a blast to catch, especially on floating flies. It sometimes looks like a tip-off in a basketball game: a bunch of fish gather around under the fly and a couple of them jump up and try to get it :chuckle:

Q

#4 ·
If we're using a basketball analogy here, then some of the bluegills I've hooked this year are probably named Shaquille. :hehe:

My hot fly for these huge 'gills has been a green/yellow frog popper in a size 4, complete with split hackle tail and rubber legs on the sides. I usually catch them when I'm casting to bass structure, but it's not disappointing when I realize that I've hooked a bluegill. Like Shadfreak said, these are the guys who have gotten so many of us started in the first place.

Not only will they move a kayak, but I've had a couple start moving my 11 foot john boat. Big shoulders and big attitude! A great combination. :)

#5 ·
Funny to see this. I always thought of Bluegill as junk-fish and not worth my time...

Of course, I never got one that required much effort to pull in, so they must just grow 'em bigger around you guys!

Personally, I would take a perch over a bluegill any day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.