Fly Fishing Forum banner

MONOMOY Update - Winter 2005/2006

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thank your...

One of the highlights of travessing N. & S. Monomoy for our striped quarry is the iincredible abundance of wiildlife. Located between two major megaoplois, I continue to be spellbound. Where else in N.E. can you visit a pristine area that has the abundance of flora and fauna found on Monomoy(s)??

Incidentally, once of my favorite birds, the oyster catcher, was in abundance in a large flock for several weeks at a specific location on S. Beach. Based on the nesting info on Monomoy, it appears they nest elsewhere.

Tread lightly on our pristince islands, and if you get a chance, spend an overnight at the lighthouse on S. Monomoy. You won't forget it.

#3 ·
There's not a whole lot of "planning" in the document from what I can see. I will keep checking the link in the article for more updates.

Too bad the Southway is just about shut. I hope it doesn't cause a nosedive in the fishing for 2006.

Let the speculation begin....

#4 ·
No kidding on the 'stay tuned' nature of that update eh? One topic I hope gets proper attention is that the drop-off points for shuttles. The current locations are outdated and no longer apply. These things need to be kept current with the situation, which is constantly changing.

As far as the southway, I would guess we are headed for more of the same as last year. Those who hit it a lot know what that means. See first paragraph.

#5 ·
Not sure how to take this, last year a whole group of fisherman. mostly fly showed up for a meeting.... at the refuge and I see nothing about fishing...but perhaps silence is golden....Did not mention anything to Mike.... I think our access is ok...we , as fishermen have a good relation with the refuge...currently, I see nothing, after speaking with Mike that we have any access issues... infact, he and his staff are revamping the little exhibit at the headquarters with a stripped bass exhibit and has a bueatiful fiberglass striper and information for exhibit. I told him I would supply flies and others should consider doing so.....

#7 ·
Doc, love to meet with you but I am back in Winchester....waiting to see the French and Indian war on PBS again and how Washington developed as a leader...PS. Sent an e-mail to Bill Perry, an avid Fly fisherman with some questions about us...

#10 ·
No, but I've definitely heard about it. Still trying to find the time to read McCullough's biography of John Adams my folks gave to me as a Christmas gift. I must admit Al Caolo's book on sight fishing for stripers has occupied alot of my attention lately...:hihi:
Jim

#11 ·
Doc, don't blame you on that. Alan's a good man...fished with Juro last year. I missed going out with them..... the shoreline for all of us will be different this spring...as it has been each year...kind of like playing a different golf course each year and yet at the same physical location... the real bueaty of your pastime and passion...

#12 · (Edited)
Right you are there. I'm thinking of combining exercise and scouting/exploring by hiking to the tip of South Beach and back once a week to take a few pics of the Southway and Monomoys, which I would then post. It's roughly a ten mile round trip (based on my course plot using Google Earth). Any ideas as to where I should park so as not to invite a citation from Chatham's finest? Do they still hold to that time limit in the spots in front of the light during this time of the year?
Jim

#13 ·
Jim, can not be that sure on that, but my experience is that they will not ticket in the OFF season... that is only a guess and what I have come to understnd.... you should be able to to that...If you have any concenerns...just park on Bridge street...but if it were me, I would jus park at the light house.

#14 ·
Thanks John...will do...not today as I am heading up to the folks to visit before they head down to Florida for the rest of the winter. I'll be joining them for a week in March, along with my new 8 wt and some snook/redfish/seatrout flies to fish the flats on Sarasota bay. Hopefully the bull sharks, gators, and sting rays will leave me alone....saw the fin of what I am convinced was a bull shark while fishing down there one night several years back....boy did I back up into shallower water in a hurry! Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for you at the Bear's Den show on the 15th, and at FTC for your annual tying demonstration. Take care...
Jim

#15 ·
Flydoc I envy your exercise program, I don't have such motivating venues in my neighborhood to choose from. As a rule they do not ticket at the light until Memorial Day but I would call the Chatham PD and let them know you are going to be doing that this winter and maybe a license plate, and I think they will let you know whether you have anything to worry about. I've called them several times and they were very accomodating until Memorial Day, understandably.

I also like the bayside where it's clearly marked that there is no restriction until a given date. Good walking there too and you can learn the lay of the land if you go at low tide :cool:

#18 ·
:eek:
These long-distance winged vagrants subcribe to the latest tide charts and usually camp out above the expected high water marks and flotsam in tiny depressions...or, as in the case of places like Nauset, in the SUV tire rutz...no real nest to call home...:frown:
When we trundle down the beach on foot with long rodz the easiest walking is close to the water where the sand is sorta' hard pack...so we won't see them nesting back near the beach grass...the eggs are absolutely stealth!
There are numerous mating pairs at SeaGull Beach in Yarmouth (among other places like South Beach) and the tiny chicks look just like their parents only about 1/4 scale...
Blending into the sand with highly refined camouflage, only birsts of movement give them away...
It's tough being that far down on the food chain! :whoa:

FYI...Lucy is ONLY interested in chasing mature sea gulls and her frisbee!

Attachments

#19 ·
Pete, I see Lucy is now fully trained in USCG Regs for vessels underway after dark - "Red to Port / Green to Starboard" - or is it the other way round? :D

See ya sooooooon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.