Fly Fishing Forum banner

crab patterns & legs

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I'm attemptiong to make foam body crabs - I've seen a couple guys using rubber bands for legs and I tried maribou (less than fully satisfied with results).

I'm wondering what else is being used to imitate legs & claws on small crabs (size 1, 1/0 flies). Yes, I'll probably end up with rubber bands but if there's something more realistic (and less jig-like) I'd like to try it.

If it helps: I'm trying to imitate a crab in a non-threatened pattern will "swim" close to a real crab when retrieved (meaning the eyes are perp to the hook eye)

TIA,
TMS

#2 ·
Todd... you can buy the skinny rubber legs but also make them out of thin hackle and bend them ,use goop and they will stay bent... the Hackle is used more for claws but can be used for legs... The regular rubber bands ,appropriatly cut are also used extensively... buy the thin ones or walk around your office and find themlike I do;)

#3 ·
Todd

I've only ever witnessed swimming crabs once and that was down in Mexico (Ascension Bay). It took me a while to figure out what they were at first since they don't look very crab like when swimming. What I do remember is they moved pretty fast and gave the impression of a baby flounder on steroids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.