Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Black Mike

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Charlie 
#1 ·
Michael Brislain of New Brunswick invented this simple fly. It is considered a good bad weather fly and is used extensively across Canada.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Gold tinsel.
Tail: GP crest.
Rib: Flat silver tinsel.
Body: Black wool picked out heavily.
Wing: Gray squirrel tail.
Collar: Orange hackle.
Head: Black

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Charlie,

Interesting fly. It ought to work well here on the west coast for steelhead.

I've also noticed that many of the more recent flies, like this one, have the hackle tied as a collar after the wing has been tied in. This gives the fly a very different look than when the wing is tied in after the hackle. It is almost like there has been a rediscovery of the Caines River style hackling. Do you think this might be done to give the fly more of a baitfish profile, or is it done more to provide a small head? Whichever it is, it makes for much more color saturation at the front of the fly.

#3 ·
Question Charlie. Did you leave the body "picked out" because you are following Mikes original?? Or do you prefer your bodies(wool, seal,etc) that way?
I've met Michael twice and he is a nice lad who knows a crap load about the St.John. His book Bugging the Atlantic Salmon is a decent book too if you are into New Brunswick salmon rivers or the history of Bombers and "bugs".
Heres to lookin forward to next weeks fly:)
Dwayne
aka Salmon Chaser

#4 ·
I had the opportunity to tie flies with Mike at the Fredericton Fish and Game annual fly tying course two winters ago. There was a bunch of us at the"Liars bench" and Mike was one of them. What a great person, he shared alot of tips, tricks, stories and fly patterns for New Brunswick and Quebec. It was a great 10 weeks at the vise.

Dwight

#5 ·
Russ,

Interesting point on the hackle collar, and to be honest I have not given the idea much thought up until this point. I would imagine that it is a combination of the reasons you outlined.

Dwayne,

On your question, yes, Mr. Brislain indicated that it should be tied with a picked out body in his tying instructions for this fly. And I like a picked out shaggy body myself. I do have his book on Salmon bugs and must agree. Good stuff.

Dwight,

Great story, I have never met him myself.

Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.