Fly Fishing Forum banner

Two handed Rods

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Warren 
#1 ·
OK guys & gals, here is my next hair brained scheme. Buying a Spey rod.

I have been looking into this two handed rod business and the more I research it, the more confused it seems. For example I see there are two or more styles of rods, different lines etc... I just do not know where to start. I do know I will need a casting lesson or two, that much I have figured out

What I want to do is this, I want to use it to fish from shore or more accurately the surf or shallows. Not Flats fishing like sight fishing on Monomoy . But ocean beach casting.

What I want to know is what rod do I buy. How long, what rod weight, what line type & that sort of thing.

This is not something I am going to do today, however I want to get my ducks in a row so I can make an informed decision when the time comes.

Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks Jamey,

I did not know all rods would not be up to the task of overhead casting, something else to investigate.

Anyone else? C'mon Guys give till it hurts, I need more insight. Juro your a two hand man, where are your comments?

#4 ·
Hi Warren,

There are quite a few previous threads on the two hander subject you might want to review. I personally went with the CND 11 and 9/10.

I prefer fishing with the CND 11/11 for a couple of reasons.

I can still cast 80-100ft in 25-40 mph winds which I always seem to hit during the spring striper clave on Monomoy.

It's stout enough to handle the largest fish I've ever caught with a fly rod and more. And now that there are lines specifically designed for the rod it's abit easier to cast.

It's length at 11ft 1 inches is not too long, if you hold the rod at the top of the top grip is only 6 inches or so longer than my 9 weight outfit.

I like being able to shoot the line a 100 ft or more with a single backcast, and it tosses huge flies very nicely.

I've never used or tried any other brand so I can't offer any comparisions for action or ease of casting, types of casts etc.. But I have fished 2 handed CND switch rods exclusively for a couple of years and will continue to do so, on my boats and even in my Kayak.

HTH,
Greg.

#6 ·
If you're coming to the Spring Clave there will be plenty of time to try them out and get some firsthand knowledge.

I won't say I am the first to two-hand beach fish but probably was the first to get it really moving forward - and IMHO it's still in it's infancy. I started researching this in 1995 and still learning.

New designs are coming into play all the time - Echo, Sage, Loomis just to name a few more than the ones named above.

You can search the forum and get reams of posts on the topic.

Short version:

- for striper fishing I prefer around 11ft unless a shorter rod can do the job, nothing longer. If it can't cast over 100ft with one backcast (no false casting) then find another rod.

- two hands have advantages in certain situations, disadvantages in others (+wind, +distance, +grains, etc)
so do tricycles, bicycles and unicycles

- you can fish BIG with less effort (eg 600 grains over 38' no sweat)

- most single hand casting strokes need refinement to cast two-handed
> tracking and power application mostly

- these tweaks dramatically improve single hand casting and are well worth learning

- most give it a quick try but never really understand it

- to reap the benefits one must get over that 'hump'

#7 ·
Great stuff guys, Thanks again. Looks like this is going to be a fun learning process.

Unfortunately, I will not be attending the Spring Clave. It conflicts with another of my extracurricular activities. I will be in Kansas that weekend. Hopefully next year I can get my travel schedule nailed down a little better to accommodate both events.

I'll do a search of Two handed threads over the next few weeks & go form there. I am also going to catch up with the local FFF guy who fishes two handers. He is a nice guy & willing to help. In the mean time I will keep reading.

#8 ·
It's on it's way

After looking around some I came to a decision about the two handed rod deal.

I ordered a CND Oceana 1111 a couple of Airflo 40 + Beach lines from Scott at the Bears Den (use those site sponsors)

I ordered a sinking & and an intermediate line. WTF they are on sale 1/2 price:D

As soon as I can get a hold of Ron Larson, I will order a Danielsson HD 9 thirteen reel to top it off with.

I am broke now, can I bum a ride to The Cape? I promise I won't eat much! :hihi: :hihi:

Addendum:

I just got of the phone with Mr Larson, he tells me that he has been slammed with reel orders. HD9thirteens are being made now & back ordered, be a few weeks yet before he can send me one. Looks like the word is out on Danielsson

#10 ·
Thanks Greg,

I plan on making several trips to the Cape & Rhode Island this summer so I hope to meet up with you and as many forum members as possible. The ones I have met already have been great folks to fish with:cool:

This will be my second Danielsson, I bought a LW8eleven earlier this year & absolutely love it.

I should have my Rod Tuesday or Wed. I'll fit it up with a Ross BG 5 temporarily to try it out.

#15 ·
I bought a Loop Grey Line 12' 9" 9/10 Goran Anderrson on ebay last summer and really enjoy it for both traditional spey casts as well as overhead ( Juro- it kicked that winds a## during the clave with a 400 grain sink tip) They seem to show up on ebay pretty frequently.

#17 ·
Great Scott!

I had the CND Oceana two hander out today for the first time. Wow even a dysfunctional welder like me can make a great cast!

The wind at N. Monomoy was was 25 knots or better. I got out on the flats & got the wind over my left shoulder so I would not hook myself & blind cast into a ditch.
After figuring out where the shooting head needed to be on the rod. I was able to roll cast the fly out & one cast that baby 70 feet or more down wind. Once & a while I would get the timing just right & shoot all the line I had in the basket and it would almost jerk the rod out of my hands when the running line stopped.

I even caught half a dozen stripers & missed a few too.

I was amazed at how little effort it took to get the line out. When I left at 1:00 pm I was not even tired.

Thanks to all who helped out with this project especially those who sent me emails or PM's with tips to succeed.

I am hooked on Two hands now. :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.