Fly Fishing Forum banner

Walden lunchtime outing

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
I propose tuesday April 2nd for a lunchtime meeting.

What say ye Lefty & John D?

#5 ·
Hey, I think I have a client meeting in that neck of the woods. Let me check my schedule - yep, there it is.

A great chance for me to try out my 3/0 helgramite pattern and my new 525grain QD off the old 11 weight....

Sorry #4's & #6's if I'm in the nieghborhood.

Terry, can you email me coordinates? Whenever I get north of Weymouth I get all confused.

#6 ·
Roop said:
Hey, I think I have a client meeting in that neck of the woods. Let me check my schedule - yep, there it is.

A great chance for me to try out my 3/0 helgramite pattern and my new 525grain QD off the old 11 weight....

Sorry #4's & #6's if I'm in the nieghborhood.

Terry, can you email me coordinates? Whenever I get north of Weymouth I get all confused.
Why don't you try one or two of those swap flies you've got???

#8 · (Edited)
Roop,
I have 3 different emails addresses for you. My fault.Drop me a line will ya.
Basically from 128/95 take Rt 2. (near LExington Waltham line) West a few miles up to Walden st light. Go left on Walden St.. Then the parking lot is right there on the left. Park, walk back out to road and cross, then down to water.
I can't get the map link to work.

#10 ·
Sorry guys, but I have to bow out of this one for a number of reasons. I will try a Lex. Res outing next week though. I did some figuring and concluded I can increase my lunchtime fishing by 1/3 if I do the Lex Res. That get's me about an hour on the water. I also do not look forward to Walden midday. The sun is high and you stand on the sand there at the beach end, fishing is usually poor. At least at Lex. there is some deep dark water with tree cover. I saw 2 guys casting flies there on friday too.

Lefty

#11 ·
I'll see you guys at Walden tomorrow - and Lex Res. next week sounds great!

I'm not far from either - in Waltham right now (read: employee of the State...)

looking forward to wetting a line & testing my waders - Jeff, I'll be sure to give some room! 11wgt for trout, man that guys got issues...:eyecrazy: Oh hi - you still here? I'll click the button now:rolleyes:

#13 ·
Walden report

Got there at 11 & togged up. got to the water and strung the rod, tied the fly and missed a guide - all under the very close and watchful eyes of the two Redtailed Hawks that were prepping to find their lunch...too cool

Waders still (knock wood) don't leak and the water is F-R-E-E-E-E-Z-I-N-G! but only until your legs go numb. wind out of the west made casting a little tricky. lots of spin/bait guys, saw 2 nice and 1 sweet trouts go into the parking lot. 4-5 boat guys around. everybody seemed to go down to the back cove...

gotta fix my leader and work on my casting stroke...

how about Lex. Res. next week?

#14 ·
Kudos Sprocket, at least you got out! Nice day too.

Q: Black gnats out in force yet, and anything rising?

I'm in for LexRes trout luncheon(s) next week.

- Seattle's Best Coffee 1 mile down the road
- Marrett St. Deli has great subs next door to SBC in&out in 5 mins

I'll put my hip waders and 5wt in the truck. How about we bet Friday's lunch for biggest trout? Everyone buys the winner lunch on Friday.

#15 ·
black bugs rising: there was a hatch of sorts but not a lot to be seen. west wind had waves & chop up.

rises: see west wind above

LexRes: I'll need directions...

lunch: I'd do that even though I know I'm not a contender

#17 ·
Jeff there are reports of bass in there but I did not see any - only my first time fishing there.

relative to my nickname:
It's a spin on the band "Toad the Wet Sprocket", a defunct California band (who's name is taken from a Monty Python skit), not the Mike Myers character from SNL. - but a good try, no offense taken.

I'll start another thread for LexRes later - gotta check with the weather channel

#18 ·
Roop, years ago I used to catch nice bass in Walden during the spring between the beach & Thoreau's home site. I haven't fished it in years though. A yak would help to fish that area, trees and the walking path are tight to the shore. Spin fishing was the norm in that area.

I'm in for some day next week if my projects don't explode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.