Fly Fishing Forum banner

Opinions v. Facts

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  OC 
#1 ·
Thomas Jefferson is said to have made the statement "I might not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it", or words to that effect. Truly a democratic idea/principle and the cornerstone of our 1st Amendment rights as Americans. An idea, I might add, that has become almost universal with most western nations.

Flytalk appears to be a private forum open to public discussion on matters relevant to flyfishing. Such discussions are usually expressed as opinion as opposed to statement of fact - an opinion is just that - opinion, whereas a statement of fact is supported by ones acknowledged expertise (or, in lew of such first-person expertise, cited authoritative source). Please understand the difference...

A certain degree of tolerance is necessary for a "free discussion" and a justifiable expectation of any forum participant. Sure, you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater and one is expected to remain somewhat civil per custom, yet to silence dissent through mob rule or private devise runs contrary to the purpose of "forum". Yet, there are those who actively participate in this forum who fail to see these points and/or take issue with any and all opinion they do not subscribe to and either chastise the opinion holder or seek "official" condemnation.

Barbs aside, I for one support all opinions expressed here whether I subscribe to them or not. I often take the roll of devil's advocate to spur on the discussion(s) and would hope that others can see it as such.

Thank you Juro for this forum. Thank you readers for your time. Let's get past the perceived personal affronts and get on with discussing matters relevant to flyfishing - from all sides.

S.Russell
Marblemount, WA

See less See more
#2 ·
Steven,

Very well said. That is also one of my favorite quotes (and I need to look it up as I had a different person). Either way, good words to live by.

With only a couple of exceptions over the time this site has been up, I think there has been very little flaming. That is one reason I keep coming back. The responses are thoughtful and polite. That and I enjoy a good debate.

One thing I have noticed though is that so many of us know one another and fish with each other that there is a large amount of tongue in cheek ribbing that goes on. It is all in the spirit of fun though and with no ill intent. It does take a while to get used to it though.

Juro has the best flyfishing site on the net and he deserves high praise for it.

And since this topic is here, let me take this time to apologize to my Canadian and Oregonian brothers for any slight I may have given them :hehe:

Duggan

#3 · (Edited)
Well Said

Watersprite,

I too agree with your appraisal of the purpose of this forum. That is the reason for my e-mail correspondence. By the way, I have cleared my in-box so you can send me your reply if you want.

Duggan, absolutely NO offense was taken by this Canadian! I was right on track with the good nature of it all! It is fun to give people the "business" once in a while. And you are right, there are so few flames on this board that when the potential for it arises it sends up flags all over the place. This is a good thing I guess, but I'd much rather debate in good faith and wax philosophical about our common favourite topic - fishing.

#4 ·
Hey Kush,
Knew you would take my swearing at you in Canadian OK.
I'm 3/4 Canadian from NB and Canadians to me are the best. Just wish they would Find a better way to play hockey so I could watch an NHL game again!
Yes this is the best site for anyone who loves to fish and voice an opinion. I think a lot of you know there is something wrong out there in fishing land. How serious it is and what it is, I would like to put a finger on it, so all keep being opinionated.
OC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.