Fly Fishing Forum banner

Exploring the Green

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Doublespey 
#1 ·
Went down to the Green to explore one of Juro's old haunts. I'd never really appreciated how nice a summer steelhead flyfishing stream the Green below Flaming Geyser is - just the right size for a 7136, with lots of slots and riffles for the fish to hold in and overhanging trees to provide cover.

I fished a 12' Type 6 tip and assorted small black patterns in hopes of eliciting a take from a silver rocket, but what I got was a lot of attention from the smolt. These little buggers were in each of the prime steelhead lies - and I sure hope they make it down to the ocean so they can come back in a couple years and take my fly again!

It was beautiful cloudy/sunny afternoon on Saturday, and a great day to be on the water. Think I'll try the Sky closer to home next time - I've been hearing enough success stories and some of them might even be true <g>

tight lines y'all,

Brian

#3 ·
Try floating it with the Puma from the Geyser down to Soos Creek... I'll bet you see two dozen summer runs holding or moving around. For shore fishing you'd be better off fishing up around Palmer State Park -or- even the Headworks Dam.

Is anything holding in Horseshoe Pool? Probably dozens of big slabs. Climb up the ridge on the right bank and take a look in the pool mid day, try not to fall off when you see the slabs finning there. Best way to score is to get there 1 hour before the ranger shuts the gate and fish it over the rock garden (head of the bend) with a purple butt spey or similar fly. Very best is to camp in the park and take the three hours before they open the gate at 8am to tease up a mondo trout.

Like all rivers, it takes time to learn it.... Good luck!

The first stretch along the gravel road at the Headworks Dam holds beaucoup summer fish, and getting there early usually means fish on. Walk up and swing the fly as you work down. Keep going downstream past the pump house and work a muddler in the rapids.

#4 ·
Hey Juro et all,

The word on the Green is that the summers haven't show up high yet. There have been several big chromers taken lower (around Soos Creek, Golf Course, and the Slaughterhouse) but nothing higher.

Later, of course, i'm sure they'll be up around Palmer Rearing Ponds, the Headworks, etc.

Anyway, it was a great day on some classic summer steelhead water! Thanks for the suggestions - will definitely camp at Horseshoe sometime later this summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.