Fly Fishing Forum banner

Striped Bass Facts

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  craig 
#1 ·
actually whether they are true facts or not is suspect, all info found on the internet

1. The largest striped bass ever recorded was a 125 pound female from North Carolina, 1891.
2. The oldest ever recorded was 31 years of age.
3. The average Chesapeake Bay 6-year-old female striped bass produces 500,000 while a 15-year-old can produce over three million eggs.

6 year old females range from 26"- 28" at 7 - 10.3#
15 year old female is @ 44" weighing between 29 - 41#'s.

Food for thought.

#3 ·
Don't these numbers strike anyone as interesting?

1. a 28" fish produces @ 500,000 eggs, the class fish Mass residents could kill last year, the begining of the sexually mature fish
2. a 15 year old fish produces over 3MM eggs, and is around 44"

I don't see how people can not support a 36" or greater limit.

#5 · (Edited)
...and besides all that...

...If you hold the beast by the mouth the stripes are vertical but if you hold it gently/kindly/supported under the belly the stripes are horizontal! Gofigure...
...I think the "regulating" folks are a bunch of paid off self serving bastards who are so far outa' touch they actually think they have a clue! And the uneducated phishkillering "lemmings" and whitebucketbrigade will soon wonder what happened after it's TOO LATE...:razz:

#6 ·
Re: ...and besides all that...

Penguin said:
...I think the "regulating" folks are a bunch of paid off self serving bastards who are so far outa' touch they actually think they have a clue! And the uneducated phishkillering "lemmings" and whitebucketbrigade will soon wonder what happened after it's TOO LATE...:razz:
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks this!

#7 ·
In case you haven't heard from them, Stripers Forever has made some tremendous strides in their pursuit of gamefish status.

They are in the process of finalizing a web site, until then you can get on their email list with updates by emailing:

bigbass@maine.rr.com

Their is also striper regulation meeting scheduled for the near future, I'll email Jeff G and get the info.

Roop

#8 ·
Pete - thanks for that eloquent (as always) new definition of what constitutes a politician ;)

Roop - thanks for the link - I will add them to the list of non-profit orgs links.

#14 ·
Biggest Bass

There were actually several of those 125 lb. bass, according to "Fishes of the Gulf of Maine."

"The bass grows to great size, the heaviest of which we have found definite record being several of about 125 pounds that were taken at Edenton, NC, in April 1891."

Smith, North Carolina Geol. and Econ. Surv., vol.2, 1907, p. 271.

Would be interesting if there were more info in the survey, if someone had access to a library that had it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.