Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gaspe Fishing in June

6K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  knutalf 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I've a question about the Gaspe and its rivers .I need to know if there is camping around or cheap rooms.I cant afford much as Im just a poor fishing guide.Im going June 1st thru the 7th is there any advice on rivers to fish or sectors?
Any advice will help.
Pete

#2 ·
Dear Pete,

There are lots of cheap rooms and at least a few campgrounds near all the rivers that have ZEC water. Those are almost the exact dates that we fished the Gaspe last year. We went all the way east and fished the York and Dartmouth. If you stay in Gaspe (the town) both the Motel Adams and Motel Fort Ramsey have rooms that are quite comfortable and reasonable. In addition, Fort Ramsey has a small campground right there. It is better suited for trailers or motorhomes, but there are a few sites that would work with a tent. The runs were quite late last year so none of the three of us ever saw a fish during those dates. However, both the York and Dartmouth, as well as the Ste Jean (though less so) are considered to be early rivers. Your other option that I'm familliar with would be to head to the Matapedia and stay with Peter Dube at the Motel Restigouche.

Maybe others can help you with some of the other rivers. All I know is that fishing is often better later in the month or in July on many of the other Gaspe rivers.

#3 ·
Pete
As JR said, last year the runs were very late on the Gaspé. I don't have personal experience with the "earlier" rivers, but the ones I fish (Grand and Petite Cascapedia, plus the Bonaventure) don't normally get going until much later in the month. Prime times are late June and into July.
Bill

#4 · (Edited)
Hi from Gaspé!

Hello,
I can certainly help you.
Yes, There are campgrounds right in town and Motels.
As for fishing, excellent waters are still available in early June.
Send me a note, I can help you to select your waters and lodging.

Our runs start to enter the rivers in mid-May......
First runs are the "big" salmon.....!!!!

Tightlines!!

LadyAmherst!!

#5 ·
Gaspésie in June

The bulk of the run in most Gaspésie rivers is later than June. A notable exception is the Causapscal which has an early run of big fish. It will cost you a fortune to fish it though, providing there is some space left. The Matapédia will cost less but it is a big river and rarely fished from other than a boat. There is a good chance of getting some big sea-run brook trout in June though. Try the previously suggested rivers for that (Dartmouth, York, Cascapédia).

Dan

#6 ·
Pete,

As Rimouskois correctly indicated, the bulk of the run on the Gaspe' is (usually) in late June and early July.

Nonetheless, some rivers experience a superb early run: the Restigouche, Cascapedia, and the York are good examples. Although the fish are fewer and further between, they make up in size for what they may lack in numbers.

On the York in the 1st week of June, try "Petit Saumon"and "Baillargeon" in Zone 1 (Unlimited Sector); both very productive high-water pools.

In Zone 3 (reservation required), "Mississippi" and "Bluff" are outstanding during the early season.

In Zone 4 (reservation required), try "Still," another superb pool in high water. At that time of the year, the fish are usually found in the tail of the pool.

I will be on the York during your visit. I'll see you either at Tim Horton's for the pre-fish cup o' joe or on the river.

Best regards,

TB

#7 ·
I can't wait to visit the Gaspe'! This year is the year. Topher if you see me hiding in the back of your vehicle on your way up to start your guiding season up there don't be alarmed! ;)

I will find my own ride back... or I may never come back! Looks like heaven up there.

#10 ·
Juro,

My guiding days on the Gaspe' are over: I now have more fishing time! We'll talk soon about getting you into your first salmon on the Gaspe'.

Lady Amherst,

Also snowing here in Maine. Here on the coast, it will probably amount to what farmers call "poor man's fertilizer," in other words, not much. They are predicting up to 10" in the mountains.

I don't care: the rivers have returned to a liquid state, and now provide a proper anchor for what Simon G. would call "an angry belly." My bellies are very angry, indeed, at the end of such a long winter!

Coffee's on me.........

TB

#11 ·
Topher -

I anticipate this like a kid at Christmas, I have dreamed of going to the Gaspe' for many years. Maybe we could time things so that some of our spey bro's from the PNW are visiting as well, or maybe even Nobuo-san.

If you consider it a fair trade, I would like to host you on my home flats for the striped ghosts of the summer sands for pulling you out of retirement just for a short time to get me tuned into the river up north.

It would also be great to time a trip out west so you can meet Dana, Kush, and the whole wild and crazy northwest gang to greaseline for summer runs and chase feeding ocean coho on the coast in the fall if that doesn't pull you off your home rivers at a prime time (fall).

In any case, it's going to be a great season!

#12 ·
Juro,

Does your enthusiastic anticipation of the upcoming fishing season translate to baseball? If so, you sound like a Red Sox fan, or even worse, a Cubs fan.

Hope springs eternal and sometimes our prayers are answered.

The Gaspe' is a beautiful place to fish and I am sure you will more than enjoy yourself.

Tight lines and singing reels.

#13 ·
#1 - Seattle Mariners fan
#2 - Bosox fan
#3 - there is no #3 :devil:

Seriously, I love all the teams who play their hearts out - the Angels for instance, or many others who are definitely in it for the game itself.

On the topic of great Chicago teams, what was the name of the movie about Shoeless Joe Jackson and the big conspiracy? I just saw it on a wee hours insomniac channel on cable and want to get the DVD.

#16 ·
The "Sawx," as in Red Sox, are going all the way this year. You heard it here first at the Flyfishing Forum.

So confident am I of this fact that I will sell all my Spey rods for $1.00 each after the victory celebration in Government Center and the tickertape parade around Beacon Hill.

I will then fish for brown trout on the Charles with what is left of my rod collection.

#19 · (Edited)
On the way out!

Just to keep you posted Topher,
Salmon are presently on the way out to sea!! Austin has seen a few this weekend from standing on that first bridge on the lower York.
Looking good!! Mother Nature is on time this year!! I'll let you know when we see those "Silver Bullets" arrive.
Forget Baseball and Golfing..... it's soon time for Fishing!!

Double Spey..Single Spey....??? Sweet dreams!!!
:)

#22 ·
Hi Paul,

Cameron is not returning my phone calls since she hooked up with Justin Timberlake, who--after his stunt at the Super Bowl with Janet Jackson two weekends ago--may be on the way out. If only she knew that unshaven men in baggy waders with double-handed rods and pick-up trucks are far sexier than pop stars and the rest of the glitterati. I'll ring again soon.

Never been to Scandinavia: it's #1 on my list...probably Gaula in early June some year...I want to get spooled. Fished four rivers on the north shore of the Kola...absolutely awesome except for white-knuckle chopper rides. I'd like to go to Alta just to take photos; the fishing is out of my $-range, unless Cameron comes through!

P.S. With the acquisition of Schilling, Foulke, and Co. to the Red Sox roster, I will be placing no bets on my rod collection in 2004.

#23 ·
gaula

hi topher, i've been having login problems so i've twice replied but lost them in cyberspace i think. be careful who you go to gaula with! which kola have you fished? i get to alta as guest! very lucky to meet super norwegians in tdf a few years back and now fish orkla [near gaula] namsen, malsev [ wonderful arctic river] alta. they like to shoot in uk with us so great friendly trips. last year i drove thru scandinavia on my own and just stopped where i saw river and hotels very welcoming and found me fishing. the norwegians are taught in school how they used to net fish and then the english came and showed them how to rod fish, and the rest is history! regards

#24 ·
Pete
If you're heading down to Gape 06/01 to 06/07,I would definately inquire first if the Matapedia is high.If so you can fish there( tonsof public water AND good fishing) The Causapscal (and early Mat. biggieswill be firing through.If the water is NOT high forget it .Garanteed the Mi'gmaq at the mouth will have their nets out impeding a majority of fish getting by .Most of us sadly now do not plan or book reservations at our favourite chalets until the word is out that the river is good and high. If it ain't it just ain' worth it !!
Cheers
Brian

#25 ·
Gaula

Hello Paul,

What we learned in school was how the English lords came over and exploited the poor Norwegain farmers:)

We have had a mild spell lately so you can actually see some water in the Gaula riffles. Now it is also daylight when I leave for work and daylight when I return, so things are definitely heading in the right direction.

Knut

#26 ·
gaula

hi knut, yes the lords may have exploited the poor farmers, but also did show a more interesting sport. anyhow you've got your own back over last 30 years! now do you fish orkla? i am organising with friends a group for stordal in early august but i cant go myself after spending most of july in norway.! after last year heat and drought i am hoping for more normal fishing this year. how do you bet? paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.