Fly Fishing Forum banner

Homemade Tubing Gear???

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  joebe 
#1 ·
Anyone have any good ideas out there for homemade gear, devices, that has made float tubing more convienent or packable? I love to build my own stuff to trick out my tube. Would love to hear your ideas!

#2 ·
Homemade Cooler

Here's one that I can share, that has been very useful. I took a foam camping (sleeping) mat that I got for $5 on sale and traced on it from a cardboard pattern that I formed around the inside back storage pocket on my float tube. Cut it out and hot-glue-gunned it together. Then I cut an "H" shape slit in the top for an opening. When I go out for an all day float, I put my food and beverages in the cooler and top with ice. In 90 degree weather, the 'soda' stays cold for at least 4-5 hours.
Natural material Rectangle Dishware Electric blue Fashion accessory

#3 ·
I'm a very simple fisherman and don't like a lot of gadgets, and growing up I always used a rope with a rock tied in the end as an anchor in canoes so that's what I did when I started float tubing. I haven't been tubing long but I quickly learned that wind can be one of the float tuber's biggest enemies, and doing what I describe here can turn the wind into your friend.

I run the anchor line up through one of the D rings behind me on my left hand side of the tube, then along the pocket through a D ring near the front of the pocket and then use the velcro rod holder to hold the line by simply putting it under the velcro twice so I can adjust it easily. (If you're a left-handed caster, rig it on the opposite side.)

The small rock isn't usually enough to hold me still except in a light wind, but by keeping it dragging on the bottom, it keeps you pointed downwind with the wind coming slightly over your left shoulder. You won't have to paddle to keep yourself pointed where you want, and the dragging rock will keep you moving slowly downwind so you can work the water fully. Your backcast will be kept away from the back of your head naturally by the wind.

If you used an anchor with this technique I doubt very much it'll allow you to drift, but I use a rock that weighs only a couple of pounds.

#4 ·
I've been looking around for a rod holder for my float tube and the Caddis one looks pretty good, but at $25 plus shipping (can't get it locally anywhere that I know) it's a bit pricey for me. Sooooooooo, my next homemade item will be a rod holder. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated! :)

#5 ·
Anchor

I was surfing the net and came across someone's great idea for an anchor. It was suggested to get a basketball net and bind the bottom end, run a rope through the larger loops, and fill the net up with large rocks. Like a bag-anchor! I bought a basketball net on Ebay for 99 cents. Can't wait to try it soon.

#6 ·
Rod Holder

I took a 1 3/4" piece pvc about 7" long, cut a 1" wide strip out the long way. Then about 3/4 of the way down made a knotch wide enought that the reel foot fits and goes around to be underneath the top long cut. Drilled a couple of holes and zip tied it to the bracket of my pontoon boat. To put the rod in lay the rod in with the reel facing up. Rotate it into the knotch so the reel is "locked" in. Smooth out the edges with a file and you are done. I copied it from one I saw at a Fly show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.