Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Salmon Muddler

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  QuebecSporting 
#1 ·
The original Muddler minnow was created by Don Gapen of Minnesota some time in the late 1930’s. He originally made it for brook trout in Ontario’s Nipigon River. It was later adopted by salmon fishermen and continues to evolve in there hands. The version below seems to be one of the most popular for salmon, although the original version is still used. Muddlers are most often fished for salmon after a spate when the water is dropping.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tail: Red hackle fibers.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Body: Black seal type dubbing.
Wing: Black marabou mixed with red, blue and green crystal flash.
Collar: Natural deer body hair.
Head: Natural deer body hair trimmed to shape with some black on top.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thumbnail Pictures?

Hi Charlie,

I love the flys you tie, they are always great ties. Just wondering if it is still possible to show them as "attached thumbnails". I've been saving all the pictures of the flys you tie to my computer and on my computer I can have it show them as my screen saver. The way the last couple have been shown I can't download them to my computer. I even have it set for the minimum time so that when I'm not using my computer I get to see these flys going across my screen as much as possible. :hihi: Gets me in the mood for fishing season in just over 2 weeks.:smile:

Thanks,
Alan (salmonguy)

#4 ·
Charlie,

I remember tying 4 dozen of these for a fellow for a 2 week trip he took to Russia for salmon and he only came back with 4 flies because he sold some of them to other anglers, lost some, and had some chewed up by fish.

I've not used them for steelhead though because I prefer the much sparser McMillan's Steelhead Caddis, a Waller Waker, Wag's Waker, Bomber, Lemire's Grease Liner, or Pinch's Riffle Dancer.

#7 ·
Charlie,

Thanks for tying the muddler. I've been tying them for the last week or so and now have a few dozen. Some are natural browns....with turkey wing and gold tinsel bodies, some are blacks with black deer hair, silver bodies and touches of red or green, and some are greens and yellows.......and of coarse the white....with white deer hair and white wings.....with a little flash.

This year I am going to fish them hard, as I think it presents a different sillouette than most fish are used to looking at. Although I have not focused on them I always hear about someone nailing a good one on a muddler.... Thanks for sharing your pattern.....the fly looks very fishy... I will tie some with that exact pattern....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.