Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly rod for beginner

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mcurtiss 
#1 ·
My 12 year old son has saved money to buy a fly rod ($100.00 give or take). Like most 12 year olds, he is easily taken in by marketing hype. Can anyone recommend how to choose a good fly rod for him? Specific rod/brand/dealer would be great, but I understand that some might be hesitant to do that. Anyway, he'll mostly be fishing small streams, raindow and brown trout....something around a 6 wt line. Any advice will be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

#6 ·
There are several rods that would work in that price range. TFO. ECHO, Redington, St. Croix, and Lamiglass all have rods that fit your criteria. One of the best values is the Redington RedFly combo that comes complete with rod, reel, line, and backing. All these rod manufacturers have good casting rods for under $100.00.

Although from your description of what he will be using it for, I'd be more inclined to look at getting a 5 wt, unless he is also going to use the rod for bass fishing.

#9 ·
Burleson Sporting Company (google for the website) has a bunch of 6wt combos in the $140-170 range that include rod, reel, back, line, and leader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.