Fly Fishing Forum banner

RIO Striped Bass 26' DC vs. RIO Outbound Intermediate/Sink 8

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Casting at Shadows 
#1 ·
Anybody try the new Type 6 or Type 8 intermediate/sinking Outbound line with the 37.5' head? I'm curious how this line compares to the existing 26' striped bass DC line.

Except for a longer head it's not clear to me why these products aren't substitutes, redundant, etc.

What would be the advantage/disadvantage of using a 26' vs. 37.5' head on a SINGLE-handed rod?

#3 ·
I own a couple of RIO Outbound intermediates and they rock for two-handed and single-handed fishing. The shorter heads are better for wading in amongst the fish when fast reactions are necessary especially on slightly overcast days.

Try it sometime - go out when it's cloudy with a short belly line. Much easier to place the fly for short to medium shots.

However on days when you have incredible visibility and can do what my friend Dennis Worley of Seattle used to refer to as the "long-armed throw" you can extend the path of travel with a 38 foot head and reach the pod before the guy next to you every time :lildevl:

If you have good "dynamic roll casting" (i.e. Spey) skills you can use the outbound line as a general purpose line on any day, cloudy or otherwise.

Shorter heads are much easier for beginners to learn on.

#4 ·
I'm using a Rio Outbound line now and I apoligize for the exact number of it but I remember there where 2 kinds,, one was full intermediate and the other was only the shorter head was intermediate. I got the 2nd the floating line but the head runs intermediate and I got it for sight fishing really but basically if you have alot of line out you just need to get the head high enough and then single haul it back to pick up the entire head and whatever floating line is out with that single haul and just haul it forward to shoot it where you want it to go,, hardcore line mending is what I call it :D

I love the line and to me its worth the price for that option especially when I fish the flats,,, I don't have much love for Airflo lines anymore after last season so i won't try or comment on anything by airflo ,, its RIO or SA lines for me and most everyone I know after I asked around for a different line for this season I learned alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.