Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coho, chinook in 'dramatic' decline

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SalmoGairdneri 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Very alarming, and certainly consistent with observed declines in adults over the last several years.

I wonder if steelhead are included in this study. There certainly doesn't seem to be an abundance of those beloved critters around here.

Pinks are exploding, that's for sure, all up and down the Salish Sea through to Kodiak. I wonder if Chums are increasing along with them.

I also wonder if there's any correlation between the longer fresh-water lives of Chinook (Spring Chinook, anyway), Coho and survival in the ocean. Decline, development and pollution of estuarine habitat has been documented as factor in Coho decline.

Oi Vey

Eric

#4 · (Edited)
There is some interesting stuff going on up north regarding fish farming now. I hope they make the right decisions.

The long term outlook is grim at best.

Chums, they are now Keta with the an economic value for their roe. Oh yeah, this year the returns sucked.

#7 ·
Brian,

I've read about the cooling at sea for the last year. It was one of the reasons given for the record coho run on the Cow this year. The theory was those stupid hatchery fish stumbled across that cold water and benefits of upflow that come with the package deal.

First thing we need is a consolidated front. Gear/fly organization SSBC/WSC/CCA etc. I find it hard to believe there are still people who believe in retention of wild fish steelhead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.