Fly Fishing Forum banner

rio outbound

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  papenfus 
#1 ·
I've been using the rio outbound 14 wt. intermediate on my cnd atlantis 1111 ,I tried for the first time the S8 in the same wt ,why do these lines feel so different when casting? They are both supposed to be 600 grain lines,yet the S8 feels like it over loads the rod.I 'm wondering if I should down size to a 13 or 12 wt for the deep sinkers.I'm also wondering if I should be down sizing all the lines for this rod ,I had a conversation via e-mail with Simon from rio and he recommended the 13 wt,yet when I bought the outbound last year I was told he recommended the 14 wt.So any ideas out there?

#2 ·
Outbound

I am not casting the same rod as you, I have a "switch rod" that is 10'6", as a 2-hander and 10' as a 1-hander. Made from an FT1010-4 blank. The Outbound 11wt seems to fit this pretty well. I have the 11F now and am waiting for an 11S3. Will be at the "Spring Fling" and you are welcome to see how it works. Have tried a Teeny 475 and its OK on it but do feel that it overloads rod unless I really feel I am very easy on the fwd cast. See you in May in Chatham.
Pete Readel

#3 ·
Paul,

I need to look at the charts, they originally were going to rate for two-handed rods as well as AFTMA but someone in the factory must have renegged :)

As you know two-hand line ratings and single-hand line ratings are much, much different even when they share the same number rating. We have had to look at grains over length since I started with two-handers and although there is a new rating system 2hand guys still look at grains over length today.

The magic number for a fishing/casting combo for that rod is 35-40ft head length and between 550-600 grains for my tastes; the shorter the head the less grains any rod can throw.

I think mine might be a 13wt, but it matches the rod pretty well. Sean has a type 8 Outbound as well you should ask him what his is rated. I know one thing these lines laugh at the wind and get down to business in a hurry and were night and day at the tip rip or lighthouse.

The Airflo tactical shooting heads were real nice in type 8, I need to check if they still make them in that grain range. I have a type 8 40+ Beach Line you ought to try as well. I will bring it to the spring clave.

(Good idea Pete!)

#5 ·
Although the intermediate running line is great, the type 8 running line can be a little bit thick and stiff in very cool conditions. I found it to relax on hot days but an option is to cut and loop the head to slickshooter :smokin:

50# s/s is quite manageable and there is absolutely no doubt about it's shooting capabilities. With so little resistance and nearly 600 grains in flight you really only need a flick to cover a rip at distance and the swing is great with the thinner running line slicing the riptide currents.

There's another discussion... shooting heads verses full lines for the big guns... I keep going back and forth.

#6 ·
There is some new slick shooter type stuff from frog hair that is supposed to be better at not tangling.

May pick up a spool and splice it on the rio cause the outbound type 3 - type 8 running line is a little more prone to tangles than I would like.

-sean

#7 ·
I've been eyeing the Rio Outbounds for my upcoming stay in Woods Hole. Anyone have a suggestions on which one would be most appropriate for my Meiser MKS 8/9?

BTW- I have been using the new Frog Hair running line with some scando lines and this stuff rocks. I have had zero problems with tangling and it shoots unbelievably. I can't say for sure that it shoots better than slickshooter but it sure feels like it. It has a real slick coating and requires little, if any, stretching. Big improvement over amnesia. We'll see how it holds up over time.

#9 ·
I'm using the 50lb. I should add that I have only been using the stuff in rivers where I hold the line that I am going to shoot in big coils held between my fingers so that there is a lot less potential to encounter tangling problems than when using a stripping basket.

#11 ·
Does anyone know whether the Rio Outbound intermediate/s8 head has the outbound taper or is it just 37 feet of level type 8 sinking line? According to the Rio charts it should have a taper but my fingers cannot detect one, but maybe the changes in taper on the s8 line are very subtle and cannot be readily detected without a more precise measuring tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.