Fly Fishing Forum banner

Surfing for Coho, Chinook & Steelies

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  removed_by_request 
#1 ·
Looking for a fly fisherman that can teach me the basics of casting for Coho, Chinook, and Steelhead in the Lake Michigan surf. I live in the Traverse City area, so would like to find someone who lives nearby (. . . but would be willing to travel to the St. Joseph/Muskegon area if need be). Also, interested in hearing about any Spey Claves scheduled for 2005. Thanks!

#2 ·
welcome!

Can't help you with GL surf myself but I am sure others can. I have lots of surf fly experience in saltwater and maybe we could exchange notes on rods.

There has been a clave in Muskegon for the last couple of years, Newaygo. You can use the search feature to find all posts on the topic, I am pretty sure it will happen again in 2005.

#3 ·
Pflyguy said:
I live in the Traverse City area
The Troutsman Fly Shop should be able to point you in the right direction. Catching salmonoids in the surf can be an excrutiating task, as you will put in an incredible amount of time to hook a fish or two...or have one night of complete mayhem :eek: and then nothing for days.

I would get an intermediate line, stripping basket, and a selection of "Lefty's Deceivers" and work around the mouths of the various creeks that dump into the bays, or the mouth of the Platte River. Try first and last light and don't get discouraged. Surf flyfishing is the last great frontier in the upper midwest but requires some serious dedication.

No need to come down "south" to try what you want to do as I feel you have better opportunities up there than I have here near Muskegon. Your best bets are going to be in and around the smaller creeks, for sure.

Good Luck!

#4 · (Edited)
I'm not sure about the lake, but up in Kodiak you always had to watch the tide. Durring both ebb and the flood, watching for the fish to make big loops around the bays and casting to the pod.

The Alaskan fish also seemed to like brighter and brighter fly's the closer they got to making their run. Clouser Minnows at the beginning and allot of rabbit strips and flash towards the end.

Good luck and get allot of backing! :biggrin:

G
#5 ·
Ditto on what FlyFishMich said.

Those small creek mouths in your area can be a bonanza, especially during the spring when smelt and alewive come in to spawn.

If you are ever going to reap huge rewards I would hazard to say late Feb, March, and April should bring best results.

You may also hit some in the fall looking for rivers to run up and spawn in, fall salmon are not as agressive of those hungy spring salmon wolf packs.

Good luck when ever you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.