Fly Fishing Forum banner

More Barracuda Than Usual??

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Walker 
#1 ·
Just returned from a couple weeks of bonefishing at Eleuthera where we had some great days on the flats, some complete bust days and everything in between. The only thing that was consistent was that big barracudas would show up every where we went sooner or later (usually sooner) and spoil the bonefishing. Had hooked fish eaten, released fish eaten and cudas prowling around the flats spooking the fish before we could cast to them. I've been to 'Lutra several times in the summer in the past, but never seen so many cudas. Anybody else noticed more of the toothy devils than usual this year? Now for my real question: Can y'all suggest some effective barracuda patterns? I'd like for this pestering thing on the flats to go both ways instead of the cuda having all the fun. Thanks -- JLoop

#2 ·
I've been able to entice 5 foot long monsters into hitting a reasonably small (3-4") fly using a 'slide and switch' as in Spey / Switch casting, essentially a very long oblong roll cast that drags the fly across the cuda's snout.

Essentially a long slide across the surface followed by a spey cast / repeat across the fish's path.... BANG

Did you get down to Cape Eleuthera?

#3 ·
Thanks for the technique recommendation, Juro. Plan to get back down to the island in the next month or so and will give it a try.

This last trip didn't get as far "up" South as the Cape. Was headed in that direction one day but ended up stopping at Rock Sound and spent a fairly productive day there.

Thanks again -- JLoop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.