Fly Fishing Forum banner

Urgent help please from Europe!!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Warren 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I´m a fly fishing fanatic from Spain, who just started fly fishing last year. From that time until now, I had been using a friend of mine equipment. Last week I had decided to get my own rod, so I went to a sage deller. I was adviced by this same friend to get a sage fli, 9 feet, line 6, 4 pieces. When I got to the shop this seller offered me a deal: he said that he had a sage vps, 3 pieces, 9 feet ( but it was line 4) that was better quality than the fli series, for the same price. He explaned to me that the rod was on sale because the new vts series had replaced it, but they were only 4 grames heavier, and they were excelent rods, and that I could check that at the forums. I was a little blinded by that deal and I took it, whitout realising that it was line 4, which I did realized when I got home.

I talked to my fishing friend and he said that he had always used line 6, and that I would be in trouble with that line 4 in wide rivers.

So I went back to that shop explaining my concerns over my choice of a line 4, and this seller told me not to worry that for Spain where most rivers are not so wide there is no problem, for foreing wide and windy rivers that would be a different story. So when I mentioned a river where I´ll be going sometimes which is fairly wide, he claimed that he goes often to that same river ( which I believe because he showed me pictures of him in that river, and he owns a shop near by, where he needs to go often, and that I knew before I went to his shop). He said that he always use a line 3, and he is even capable of using streemers with that line. He told me not to worry and that I had made the correct choice.

Well is not that I doubt of his sincerity and intentions, but I think that he might be wrong,and for me is more versatyl a sage fli, line 6( he does not have a vps line 6).

Please answer me as fast as you can, I´m open to all kins of views, but I nedd to know quick if I have to return this rod and change it back for a fli.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
If a #6 line is what you want, or feel is the correct choice I would stick with it.
I reeled in a 22 inch Salmon the other day with a Fli 6wt and found it to be just fine. My wife has a Fli 5wt which is also a nice casting rod.
In my opinion and with my casting skill I feel a 4 wt rod is a little light for most of the heavier streamer flies. For the money a FLI is a good bet.

What type or size fish are you catching ? What type & size flys are you using.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.