Fly Fishing Forum banner

URGENT Call to Action

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sinktip 
#1 ·
<b>ALERT! </b>

(I have pasted in a letter from Les Johnson begging for support to get Pete Van Gytenbeek confirmed on the WDFW commision. Pete has been leading the fight for statewide C&R and is being attacked because of it. It is imperitive that as many people as possible get letters to the both the Natural Resources Committee and the Ways and Means Committee urging confirmation of Pete.)

<i>I am writing about a critical situation regarding Wildlife Commissioner Pete Van Gytenbeek. There is a strong probability that Pete will not be confirmed by the Natural Resources Committee. The vote could take place this week. The reason for this action is very likely due to Pete's strong stand and promotion of catch and release of all wild steelhead. There are some old school "sportsman's" clubs that still believe in killing every steelhead they catch who are coming on strong against Pete -- and they do carry some clout with the Natural Resources Committee. If we lose Pete you can count on catch-and-release of all wild steelhead being a much tougher battle in the future.

I have attached the link for the Natural Resources Committee which includes the people you should write to if you support Pete's confirmation onto the Fish and Wildlife Commission and catch-and-release of all wild steelhead. Be sure to send letters to Ken Jacobson, Harriet Spanel and Bob Oke. Sending your letter to all of them would be best.

This is a very haphazard approach to the problem but we are so short on time that I can handle it no other way. I am pleading for support. Please send your letters and please try to get the word out to your various clubs to get a ton of letters on the way this week. I would like to be copied on all letters. We need Pete on the F&W Commission!

Finally, please get back to me with the names and vital information on the right people to contact in your club so that we can begin building a proper e-mail tree. Banding our clubs together to become a real legislative force is going to be an important tool in our ongoing battle to save our fish and natural resources. I am not asking your clubs to take a stand. I am asking the individual members of your clubs to take a stand. I promise you that the Wild Steelhead Coalition, an organization of which I am a board member, will take the fight to Olympia for all conservation-minded men and women whether they carry fly rods or drift rods..

Your help is critically important and greatly appreciated. Please get your letters out today and pass the word to your memberships to do the same. Thank you.

Les Johnson
Wild Steelhead Coalition </i>

The addresses for the various committees are listed below.

Natural Resources:
<a href="http://www.leg.wa.gov/senate/scs/nrs/default.htm" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.leg.wa.gov/senate/scs/nrs/default.htm</a><!--auto-->

Ways and Means
<a href="http://www.leg.wa.gov/senate/scs/wm/admin/members.htm" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.leg.wa.gov/senate/scs/wm/admin/members.htm</a><!--auto-->

See less See more
#2 ·
I just came here to post the same as above. Great to see it already here. If we loose this guy we can probably kiss wild steelhead release goodbye. If we loose him because we sat on our butts then we might as well take up golf.

I've sent email to all members of both committees and my local politco's. Let's not let the maximum sustained harvesters win this one!

#3 ·
Pete Van Gytenbeek was confirmed late yesterday afternoon with only a single nay vote. A great big THANKS to any and all who sent letters an e-mails. Apparently some of the Senators were quite surprised at the response on this issue.

Sincerely,
Duggan

#4 ·
Good work Sinktip and all that sent e-mails in to all the right people. But guys and gals now we must begin the really hard work, the down in the trenches type work. We have untill December if I'm not mistaken to get all our cards in a row. I'm just an ordinary member of the WSC but I'm ready to fit into an already tight family and work schedual as much time as the WSC wants or can stand from me. Hope the rest of our members feel the same and those that are not members yet will join and give some of your important time. We can win this war this time around. Though the State won't addmit it they know C&R state wide is just around the corner it's just up to us to push it around that corner. And you know something folks I think most of them,(state) want it, C&R statewide just can't come out publicly for it, they are giving us an opening let's get it done now so we can go on to fight other battles concerning Steelhead.
WOULD IT NOT BE A WONDERFUL THING TO BE ABLE GO TO THE RIVER WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT GETTING THAT SICK FEELING IN YOUR STOMACH WHEN YOU SEE SOME PLUNKER WACKING A WILD STEELHEAD!
LETS DO IT.
STEVE.

#5 ·
GREAT NEWS DUGGAN! I'm glad to be part of the WSC and like Steve hope to play a part in it's success. Please also tell Les thanks, not only for all the advice over the years at Swallows Nest and thru his books, but now for his conviction to this very important cause.

Steve - well said, buddy. I'm ready, let's do it.

#7 ·
Steve:

You are supposed to be enjoying time with your parents. When you get back, I have lots of work for you though ;) I've got some more info. on the OP Guides Association that we need to discuss. I'm actually happy for you that the rivers are closed as the Sky just dropped in from 13,000 cfs to 5.8' and 3,300 cfs. If it were open, I know this trip would be killing you. As it is its killing me to look at that river graph. Spawn baby spawn!

Juro:

You are right on Les deserving thanks on this one. He typed his fingers to the bone getting the word out. Found out last night that Senator Oke said the committee was all set to vote no when all of a sudden the floodgates opened and here came hundreds of e-mails and calls. We definetly turned the tide.

Kerry:

The rumor is that the lone nay vote came from the Senator from Spokane. Apparently even Spanell voted yes. Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.