Fly Fishing Forum banner

P- Town suggestions

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
I' ll be camping up at the top of cape next week w/ the family. Plan on purchasing a beach permit for the truck. Any ideas on were/ when I might cast a line in that area? I figure I'll be able to sneek out at first light and get a couple hours casting in each day and maybe again just before dark while we are grilling lobsters on the beach..:smokin:
thanks

Joe

#3 ·
Just look for the birds and busting fish - lately there's been a lot of big blues in tight and occasionally the big bass come in from the rips and push bait against shore. Everything seems to be moving quickly on the back beach and you pretty much have to stay on top of them unless you're in current where fish are working in a pattern you can stay put and work the fly under the current. I am anxious to get the wheels back out on Nauset ORV trail any day now.

You can get over to Herring Cove on the inside or work along the outside good luck it should be interesting up there. I like the Patio grill for margaritas and people-watching :)

#4 ·
petevicar said:
If you drop something be careful when you try to pick it up. :hihi:

LOL... yeah wouldn't you know the week before we arrive is family week and the week we are there..... well, it's something completely different..:eek:

Thanks for the tips Juro, I'll be sure to pack some bite wire just in case it's a blues fest.

#7 ·
petevicar said:
Joe
I'm beginning to worry about you especially with the title of your other post.:eek:
No worries mate. I'll have my wife and daughter to protect me.... :cool:

saltfly, if I can't reach them then I'll just practice casting .... but I may take the two hander just in case
4:00am uhh.... I'll have to limit the margaritas

#8 ·
I was up at race point with a buddy last tuesday, and although there was a fierce wind, the blues accomodated us by pushing the baitfish (tinker mackerel, I believe) up into the suds. At times they were literally within 3' from the beach. I didn't need to resort to my surf rod. A small white and blue deciever did the trick. Be prepared to do some running and/or fast walking because it was back and forth most of the morning. We had quite the workout. We also had the advantage of bright sunshine at our back and could easily see them swimming close to shore. These conditions made for a good morning of fishing. A good time was had by all! :smokin:

Steve

#10 ·
Does anybody know a place up near P Town were you could take small kids fishing or crabbing? A pier, jetty, or small bridge would be great, are there any snapper blues in that area? I remember we used to have a blast catching them
off Jersey around this time of year.

thanks again.

Joe

#11 ·
I don't know about fishing with kids...but If you do go into town you should not pass up taking them to probabaly the best Army/Navy store in the north east...Marine Specialties, Inc. On commercial street...you will love it also....They have just about everything you can imagin...I just got back with my daughter who wanted to go to the crafts and jewelry stores...my only stopp as it has been for years is that store...picked up two great original Pith Helmets....one an original British field helmet and the other one in the shape of the German Afika Corps. Great packs, clothing, beach stuff, etc, etc.

#13 ·
striblue said:
I don't know about fishing with kids...but If you do go into town you should not pass up taking them to probabaly the best Army/Navy store in the north east...Marine Specialties, Inc. On commercial street...you will love it also....They have just about everything you can imagin...I just got back with my daughter who wanted to go to the crafts and jewelry stores...my only stopp as it has been for years is that store...picked up two great original Pith Helmets....one an original British field helmet and the other one in the shape of the German Afika Corps. Great packs, clothing, beach stuff, etc, etc.
What no "swagger stick" to keep the boys in line down at the TIP?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.