Fly Fishing Forum banner

Quebec's New ZEC Preseason Draw Specs

6K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Salar 33 
#1 ·
I understand starting in 2007, the Quebec ZEC's preseason draws for salmon fishing in their controlled sectors will be awarded on a 75% Quebec resident and a 25% rest of the world basis. Quebec outfitters will also be granted a certain amount of rods in these controlled sectors too. For us nonresidents, it doesn't make these preseason draws too attractive. I wonder if the 48 hour draws will be awarded on the same basis? Maybe the Matane had it right after all------make it a "free for all" for every pool. :mad:

#28 ·
Pierre, I was not aware of all the "hanky Panky" that was going on in some of the ZEC draws on behalf of the nonresidents. I want you to know I did not take part in any of this "funny business". It's too bad there are some people who are always taking advantage of the "loop holes" at the expense of the general public. I realize you have an impact on the policies of the Quebec Government's administration of their Atlantic salmon rivers, and I hate to see you have such a sour attitude towards nonresident fishermen because of a few greedy individuals.

#29 ·
Earle
Don't worry. I'll speak for 99.999999 % of Qc's salmon fisherfolk and we do not, in any way, have bad feeling towards residents. Don't forget the Salmon fishing community is small and word gets around on unsavory deals.the overloading thingy was known for quite awhile until just that that little drop oveflowed the cup and the **** hit the fan !
Unfortunately a few people on either side of the story got dragged in and more than one friendship was lost.
Cheers

#30 ·
Earle,

Make no mistake about my attitude. I have nothing against non-resident, and in fact I always defended position which is not radical. But when I read some comment like "without a limited rod sector, I will not go in Gaspe and they will lose my money"...This is the same thing for resident in Quebec province, the are enough to take all the water, a dollar is a dollar, if Quebec resident can't spend it here, they will spend elsewhere...so the net balance is exactly the same. As David Bishop has already mentioned, the opportunity to fish water outside our own country or province is a privilege, not a right. I would be great if it was clearly understood.

#31 ·
Please Correct Me If I'M Wrong

Dear Friends,

It is becoming a little be clearer to me now. I think that the changes in place, as I understand them to be, for 2007 seem to be fair. I am a non-resident of Quebec.

1. The main objective of local people feeling that their country and rights are not being exploited should be in place through a set % draw. I hope it will feel that way for you.

2. The number of non residents winning draws will be set at the calculated limit. I think this will increase the opportunity to enjoy Quebec for non-residents.

3. The number of resident draws will be set at a ratio that seem equal to past history license purchases. 75%. I hope that this is a satisfactory arrangement for the people of Quebec.

4. Outfitters will be given water to sell in a controlled but reasonable way to have a business. They will not have to spend three times the money on draw cards in order to have water to sell.

5. The local economy will not suffer. This will be the best part of a fair outcome.

6. 48 hour and last minute draws will be sold and the ZEC should be happy except for the quantity of money lost on draw card over purchasing.

7. A fair and respectable way to run the draws will be decided and we will all live happy ever after. If anyone is interested in a way for this to feel fair I would be happy to share.

Does this sound like where things are going? If this can be your final goal then residents and non-residents will all feel like winners. Please make it happen and work for longer than one season.

C.R.O.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.