Fly Fishing Forum banner

Explain your user name

7K views 48 replies 44 participants last post by  arubaman 
#1 ·
Okay, for those of us here who don't use our actual name as a username.....

How did you arrive at your user name? I'll go first.

Years ago I was a member of a few other boards. I wanted the name Double Haul for the obvious reference to flycasting, but it was already taken by an inactive member on each site. Since they weren't into recycling user names, I simply shortened it to Dble Haul and have kept it since. It's unique, and people can recognize me from other sites.

How about you?

#4 ·
Mine is an old fraternity nickname that I use on the web for all the forums I post on (Google it and you'll see my other interests, it's out there a lot). The first part is my official fraternity nickname, and the last part was a last name added by one of the older members during a drunken episode one evening. There's a few more parts to it:

Dr. Teflon James (Jimmy) Jones

Trust me, you don't want me to explain the whole thing and it would make one heck of a long username. ;)

#7 ·
OC stands for the slippery TV show with all the good looking babes. :lildevl:

Sorry Teflon for the slippery part, I'll will do a google search on that one. Actually I have never watched that TV show but maybe I should have sued them for using my name. OC is for October Caddis that super sized Caddis that starts showing up on North American rivers right about now through October. The OC can get as big as a small humming bird on some rivers and it's colors can be as bright as the Irish Republican orange is. Swing a good October Caddis fly just under the surface on a warm late Summer/Fall evening and watch what happens be it Trout or Steelhead. Better results than watching good looking babes on some dorky TV show.
PS
Please don't ask how to tie my deadly OC. I belong to secret steelhead societies that would take my hooks away if I gave away my secrets. :D

#9 ·
Yo OC...

OC is for October Caddis that super sized Caddis that starts showing up on North American river
Damn, that's what it means? All this time I thought it stood for "old crotchety" :chuckle:

#12 ·
Well I'm kieran (real name) AKA Nemo on the UK forums.

Nemo, for two reasons, 1 - after the film Finding Nemo and 2 - The mythical Captain who lived 20000 leagues under the sea, earned from my mates due to my propensity for falling over in the salt and disappearing from view.

Aptly deserved I fear.

Nemo

#13 ·
User Name

When I was a teenager my family moved from Dundee Scotland to Winnipeg Manitoba. In Winnipeg my father was active in the local Soccar with a team made up of expatriated Scots. The majority of the team were from the Glasgow area with a couple from the east coast of Scotland, instead of referring to the east coasters by the name of the city they came from they were often referred to as you guys from Tayside.
When I joined Spey pages I thought that Tayside was appropriate as I had grown up and learned to fish on the banks of the River Tay.

Ian

#14 ·
name, as in "Whats in a"

Ta' Hinea Cetan
Deerhawk
The storys of Native American background in my family that I grew up listening to that my mom used to tell (her side) We always joked, cause my dad's side of the family was directly related to Hannah Dustin, statue in Haverhill Mass....You know the drill, if not, Google her name
Here goes....
I questioned this part of me for a long time. I shuned it for a long time. Then I began to ask, and the name was given to me by the Spirit. Now with the name, I was afraid to use it, ridicule, embarasment, people looking at you like you just steped off of the most recent arival from the planet Zoron (I still get that). I began to understand how the "First" Americans must feel.
That was it, untill March of 2001. I had a dream, and in this dream I was sitting on a huge crippled Eagle. 3 Native American men passed by in front of me, 2 had there faces covered with there blankets, the third stoped and asked who I was, and I spoke the name Deerhawk.
This dream (one of those real vivid ones, where you swear it was real) stayed with me, I thought about it everyday. I wondered what it meant. I asked about the meaning. I was told to "Observe".
On September 11, I was working at the coast. Having a cup of Coffee at my friend Marks Surf Shop, when he called us all in to see the first plane hit the Twin Towers. It was then that I understood the Dream. It was then that I understood who I was.
Why me?
One of the storys I grew up with was the one about my Grandmother (Moms side) having visions. But my Grandfather was scared, not understanding, and forbid her
to speak any more about what she saw, or dreamed, I guess some of it was not to pleaseant.
But here's the best part for me ....
The Worldwide Flyfishing Forum was the first place I used the name in public, It was the first place that I was not ridiculed in some way, shape, or form for being me. I was so nervous the day I singed up as a member, that I put 2 a's in Hawk, which remains today, a small testament to how silly it was to feel that way here. The members of the Forum have always made me feel comfortable being who I was. And I havn't made it easy for you either alot of the time.
I'm Deerhawk
Ta' Hinea Cetan
Most of you who know me, won't think I'm any crazier now than I was when I first showed up....and thats a good thing? :Eyecrazy: :whoa:

Yes.....True......Every word

#15 ·
Good question, great answers

I owned and operated a 47' fishing vessel in Alaska for about 30 years, the Moonlight. Anyone who ever rebuilt a 46' wooden boat from the keelson to the exhaust stack understands that your blood sweat and tears become part of the boat. Lots of boat skippers get pegged with the name of there ride.

#17 ·
Dble Haul said:
Nick, perhaps you missed the first line of my post.

Wise guy..... :tsk_tsk: :wink:
That's funny cause I totally missed it! OOPS!! :chuckle:

#18 ·
"cause my dad's side of the family was directly related to Hannah Dustin, statue in Haverhill Mass...."

That is freekin' wacky. I am also related to Hannah Dustin (on my dad's side). I am going to have to find out exactly what the realationship is.

As for my handle, I try to use it on every board I post on. By removeing some of the anominity, it reminds me not to post something I might regret.

#20 ·
Penguin...Flightless Bird!

Let the fire brigade do their job!
But, when they don't show up in a timely manner (took 'em 18 minutes)...
'Be damned if I'll watch my almost all metal USAF jet transport evolve into a smokin' hole...

'Knocked down the fire but over G'd several required body parts...
Eventually...GROUNDED by the Fright Sturgeon (Flight Surgeon)...
DNIF (Duty Not Involving Flying)...
Rendered OBSOLETE!
Slightly handicapped...
Moderately decorated...
Flight crew pals bestow new "call sign"...
It sticks...and the rest is in a sealed secret DOD file... :eek:

Attachments

#21 ·
Gunner

I spent 25 years in the Marine Corps, 6 active, 19 reserves. I was a Chief Warrant Officer 4 and the Marines generally refer to Warrant Officers as "Gunner" because originally Warrant Officers were gunnery (artillery) officers. Now there are WO's in virtually every specialty. After years of being called Gunner, it was an easy log in and I use it on every forum I post in.
Joe

#22 ·
MJC are my initials. I to use them everywhere I post. Some people think they stand for "mostly just crazy" :smokin:

Hey Penguin, Great picture!

#25 ·
Skilly

A family nick name that anyone with my last name will reply to. Of course 99.44% of them are related to me.
I am also sure their are still some on the Isle of Mann that will reply to it. Though my family left in the late 1800. I have used it for my sign in name since my first PC. My current abode is the PNW rivers.

Skilly

#26 ·
Moose is actually short for Mooseburger, a nickname I got years ago, and now my buddies just call me Moose. I believe the statute of limitations has run out so I'll confess the whole sordid tale.
I got the nickname because 2 buddies and I were hunting on a private ranch very near a fenceline that divided the ranch we were allowed to hunt on from a ranch we were not allowed to hunt on. We were working our way through some scrub oak when a small buck pops up out of the brush, making a beeline for the fence. One of my buddies shoots the deer right as it is jumping the fence (the question of which side of the fence the buck was actually on still is a matter of discussion, but the shooter claims it was in mid flight and he took it sportingly on the wing) and of course the deer expires on the opposite side of the barbedwire fence. We run over to the fence, staring across it at this dead buck, and as both of my buddies stand there discussing the various options (and wasting precious time) I hop the fence, grab the buck by it's meager antlers, snatch it up onto my back like a sack of potatoes, and flop it over the fence onto the legal side of the property line, breaking off an antler in the process. The shooter looks at me horrified and exclaims "You damned clumsy moose, you just hamburgered my deer!" My other buddy, laughing his ass off, replies "Looks like he Mooseburgered it to me", and the name stuck. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.